Went fishing for the first time yesterday!

megocorp

Steve/Megacorp, where are you located? It doesn't say in your profile. I too suggested maggots for the same reasons as Colin. If you don't like maggots what about worm? It is another good bait and you might find that it can be just effective as maggots.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went on that website before, i could not find anyone even close to where i live.

Unfortunately not all coaches are members of Allthingspiscatorial though why not, I don't know. Have a look on http://www.fishcoach.org/ and click on the 'Listing of Licenced Coaches' button. You will then be asked to type in Coarse and your county and all the licenced coaches in your county are listed there. All licenced coaches need to register with fishcoach.org

...who knows, one thing i know is i loved my couple of hours.

Hi Steve,

Your good attitude will pay off! A lot of people I know have given up fishing after their first time because they either get bored or they're unsuccessful. You've already learned you don't need to catch a fish every time to enjoy fishing! Catching a fish is the highlight of course, but there's also the enjoyment of the surroundings, the camraderie, the clearing of one's mind of the usual daily stress of life, etc. Lots to enjoy. I'm not as familiar with bait and angling techniques in the UK, so I'll leave that to the other guys in the forum to help with that. I can say, though, that if you remain persistent and use the expertise of your fellow anglers, you will doubtless catch your first fish (and many more after that). Make sure you let us know when you catch it!

Good luck,

Dave Dawis

Hi i went fishing at Himley Hall in the west midlands right by wombourne and dudley.

Worms would be fine i suppose, just never really appealed to me as i can use other non living bait.

That probably sounds completely stupid coming from someone who enjoys fishing i know.

Anyway.

Thanks again.

Steve

I'm in the same position - trying to teach myself. Not easy! I don't know anyone else who fishes.

I've been out three times now, caught two tiddlers on my first day, then nothing. Spent 6 hours yesterday sat on the Leeds & Liverpool canal with horizontal rain and wind - didn't catch a thing, but thoroughly enjoyed it! Only gave up because frostbite set in!

I've read loads on the Internet, bought several books and some videos, but while helpful, there's nothing like practice. I'll take the advice and try and find myself a coach. I'll catch something one day!

Janet

That's why some keep saying to put a location on your profile, it doesn't have to be too specific, but it helps other people in your area to give info' and advise and possibly lead to a get together as a group and share knowledge.

Janet, I see you fished the L&L canal, what part? Is it in my half, or ovvert'ill in Lancashire?

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I was fishing between Hapton and Clayton-le-Moors, not far from Burnley. A lovely area, but a bit windswept at times!

Janet

Sorry Janet, wrong side for me, but I'm sure that some of your fellow country men (or women) will be able to offer you some local advise that will help. Try posting a "help a lady in distress" thread, and I'll bet that this lot will rush to your aid. :)

Good Luck

John

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John