Lost the Buzz

:wallbash: Folks, after three years of chasing I managed to pull off my dream of putting one of the Forty pounders from the Linear Guys Syndicate (gaunts lake) on the bank 6 weeks ago by design. 99% of my fishing has been on Linear waters over the last 12 years or so and there has always been a challenge for me to keep the passion going, be it the cats in St johns the Tench on unity chub on hardwick etc etc. I now don't know what to do, I keep scratching my head thinking what I can challenge myself with, but can't come up with anything. I think I'm going to have to find a new water but What do I look for, I just don't know ?? Has anyone else got to this sort of cross roads in their angling I'd love a bit of direction..... Stu.

:) Well a few years ago i fished almost exclusively for pike. Then came the problem, i had caught a large number of big fish and felt i needed a new challenge. For a year i tried different types of fishing ranging from tench and bream to sea angling. I eventually found my new challenge in carp fishing, it seemed to push the right buttons for me, pushing my personal angling skills and learning new techniques.

Why not give yourself a bit of time to try a few different branches of the sport, you never know what your going to like untill you give it a fair go. (i'm going to try skate and shark next year... i can't wait :) )

I love my carp fishing but pike will allways be my first love.... I still pike fish during the winter hoping for that elusive big 30... (one day i hope....)

Hope this helps.

Paul.

There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..

Hi Marginmaster and welcome.

I think that many of us who have fished for lots of years run into the same feeling at some point.

The suggestion by pikergonecarpin is right on. Major changes in venue types even if continuing to target the same species helps too so if you've been doing lakes, maybe concentrate on rivers for a while.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Know the feeling mate...when I caught my first (and only) Two pound Roach with my first cast, I simply sttod there and kept asking "what am I gonna do now? "

I had tried for years on and off to get one, I had caught several to 1lb 15 oz but that Two stopped me dead in my tracks.

I haven't fished for Roach since.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

You could always have a crack at a 4lb Rudd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The oldest standing record for a fish that is fading fast due to natural habitat being destroyed and the introduction of the Golden Rudd.

I vary my angling as much as possible so that I do not get bored with one type of angling.

In the last 4 weeks I have sea fished, pole fished, stalked carp off the top, ledgered for carp, fished the waggler with maggots up in the water for small silver fish, fished for bream with a slider and banged out a groundbait feeder in the pursuit of chub.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Cheers Rudd, you are spot on, over the last week or so I've been chubbing on the tiny river Blythe and had a four pounder on hook and hold tactics. Also took the fly rod out and had a few more chub, going to northern ireland next week to county fermanagh so will do some summer piking on lough earne............ the Buzz i back

I'm afraid to say that at the present moment I seem to have "lost the buzz" too Stu. :(

My situation has nothing to do with beating goals and targets, my predicament is purely down to having too little time for my fishing. Unfortunately for me work tends to stick it's nose into the majority of my fishing plans lately. I even considered selling my carp gear as it wasn't getting anywhere near the use it deserved. I know for a fact that when I find the time to get back on the bank all thoughts of selling up, losing the buzz etc will immediately disappear.

One thing I do is to not concentrate on one species. Don't get me wrong, I love my carp fishing. But I always try to find time to pleasure fish for general coarse species too. It seems to keep the interest going with the different varieties out there.

Gaz,

I’m in the same boat with regard to time on the bank. My wife gave birth to our first a few months ago and it’s been really difficult to get out much since then, and before, as I spent months getting renovations finished of the house prior to the new arrival.

I used to do overnighters on some decent specimen carp waters but I knew as far back as last year that time was going to be a real problem this year. I decided that if I tried to get out on my specimen waters and failed, I would get really down hearted, so instead I came up with a plan for the year that would see me getting out a bit whenever I had an hour or two.

Basically I looked at all the waters within a ten minute drive of home, and then did reccys to see which looked the most fun. I picked a proper little runs water right on my doorstep, which had I fished in the normal manner would soon have got boring, so instead I gave myself the challenge of only fishing off the top.

Time is still my biggest problem, so I decided to start doing a few early morning sessions in the week before work. If I get up at 4am I can be at the water by quarter past and get a couple of hours fishing in before I have to leave for work. I’ve also been doing a bit on the local canal where I’ve set myself the challenge of catching a carp, irrespective of size. I’ve even broken the old coarse rod out in pursuit of some decent perch!

If I’m totally honest I’d rather be targeting specimens, but I have to say that I’ve not has as much fun in ages, it’s brought a breath of fresh air to my pursuits and I’m sure it will only strengthen my game when I’m able to get back on the case with the biggies once Izaak is a little older.

I guess fishing, like anything, is what you make it - so don’t sell the gear mate – just try and find a different way to use it!

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!