bbc the trawlermen

bensrus

Hello Holmesy

I'll eat imported fish from well managed fisheries, like I mostly do now. You can't beat Icelandic Haddock, a few chips and mushy's.

How do you know that it is well managed?The Peter Head fleet is Managed into the ground,same as all other UK fisheries, there are more Haddock in the North sea than ever.

local fish tastes so much better than imported fish, I suppose once you've covered it in sauce and drowned it in viniger, you would not know what it was or where it came from.

I suppose you have the same mind as most politicians," why do we need a pain in the arse fishing fleet, we can import all fish we need" same as all the other industry in this country.

I fish to live and live to fish.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Holmesy

I'll eat imported fish from well managed fisheries, like I mostly do now. You can't beat Icelandic Haddock, a few chips and mushy's.

How do you know that it is well managed?The Peter Head fleet is Managed into the ground,same as all other UK fisheries, there are more Haddock in the North sea than ever.

local fish tastes so much better than imported fish, I suppose once you've covered it in sauce and drowned it in viniger, you would not know what it was or where it came from.

I suppose you have the same mind as most politicians," why do we need a pain in the arse fishing fleet, we can import all fish we need" same as all the other industry in this country.

Your right, the fish I catch tastes better than anything else. But why would anybody want to risk their life so I can eat cod n chips ? I watched it last night. I watched as they risked their lives trying to free nets in a howling storm for pennies. Am I supposed to feel nostalgic or proud of the brave men that risk their lives for a fish supper? Like hell I do, I pity the fact that they think they have to its hard to believe anybody would choose to. A school friend of mine was lost at sea when he was 18, god bless him, I wish his ship had been laid up.

I don't hold with all the romantic "I've done this man and boy, 4th generation, and I have a right" blicks. Can't fishermen make a living outisde of fishing ? Of course they can, 90% of my family (over generations) were involved directly in fishing or in ship building and repair, none of them are now (thank god), yet none are out of work. If they were honest they're working environment and terms and conditions are better than when they were too. I've had to change jobs and careers several times in my life including moving round this country, nobody has a god given right to anything.

I don't have a politicians mind, but we can argue until we're blue in the face, at the end of the day the market (and those that control it) will decide whether the UK fleet lives or dies, like Grimsby, Peterhead will make a great marina...

Edited by Holmesy

I watched as they risked their lives trying to free nets in a howling storm for pennies. Am I supposed to feel nostalgic or proud of the brave men that risk their lives for a fish supper? Like hell I do, I pity the fact that they think they have to its hard to believe anybody would choose to.

It'll be a different story when health and safety regulations catch up with the commercial fishing industry.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Hello Holmesy

It does'nt look like there are a lot of Haddock in the North Sea from what was shown, he's having to go to deeper waters in the Atlantic. After 3 days in the North Sea he has only caught pouting complaining he has not caught enough fish to cover his fuel bill.

Guest challenge
It does'nt look like there are a lot of Haddock in the North Sea from what was shown, he's having to go to deeper waters in the Atlantic. After 3 days in the North Sea he has only caught pouting complaining he has not caught enough fish to cover his fuel bill.

As he said, he made the decision to go where he went, by the looks of things on this occasion he made the wrong decision.

We have all done it, be it angling or commercial fishing.

Does not mean there are not many haddocks in the North Sea, just means he went to the wrong place when he sailed.

I think that he is trying to pull out fast, an expression that commercial fishermen use when they are well into there trip and need some fish fast to make up for what they have not caught.

He seams to be optimistic at he chances in the north Atlantic.

We will just have to Waite and see if he is successful.

Guest challenge
Wonder if anyone picked up when the skipper of the Prawn boat 'Amity' compared his fishing to a tractor ploughing a field and went on to describe the size and width of net/gear he was dragging along the seabed, picking up virtually anything in it's path :angry:

Do you think that the skipper might have had the insight to realise that there was the chance that somebody who has no comprehension of the fishing industry and its methods of fishing, might just be watching a programme on the BBC and therefore tried to put things in to layman’s terms?

Do you think that the skipper might have had the insight to realise that there was the chance that somebody who has no comprehension of the fishing industry and its methods of fishing, might just be watching a programme on the BBC and therefore tried to put things in to layman’s terms?

I certainly do think he tried to put things into layman's terms - and in doing so, he described trawl tearing up a 360ft wide strip along the seabed, leaving nothing much as it was in it's wake :angry:

Guest challenge
I certainly do think he tried to put things into layman's terms - and in doing so, he described trawl tearing up a 360ft wide strip along the seabed, leaving nothing much as it was in it's wake :angry:

I think that in his case the sea bed did more tearing up of his net than his net did the sea bed.

By the looks of his catch there was not much there to leave in the first place.

:lol: