Comets, possibly Orfe?

grumpybum

Yep.....certainly shubunkins can if conditions are good. Depending on the sizes, some of the babies could've been from last year too !!!

The babies are likely to be shubunkins. Orfe need flowing, well oxygenated water to spawn although they will occasionally in a large pond.....my pond at work is 100' x 60' and i have 9 orfe at about 15" long and they haven't spawned.

Orfe need flowing, well oxygenated water to spawn although they will occasionally in a large pond.....my pond at work is 100' x 60' and i have 9 orfe at about 15" long and they haven't spawned.

I've only seen it happen once. We had a good sized koi setup; 9'x18', 5' deep, large gravity fed filter, pumped return via reedbed and waterfall. Iris and reeds in baskets in the margins. We had quite a few large orfe in there, and they had one spawing that produced a few young. We didn't spot them until they were a couple of inches long, mind. It only happened the once, and we had excellent water quality, a bit of flow, oxygenation, and probably more plants in the pond than is common in that kind of setup; our koi weren't large enough at that point to really trash the vegetation. Orfe are buggers for eating fry, too, so I expect some cover is fairly crucial.

Edited by Steve Walker

Cant be shubunkins as there aint any in the pond.. There may be a good flow as theres a fountain one end and a spitter from a filter the other end. Plus more oxygenating plants than previous years.

Looks like i'll have to wait till they have grown more and coloured up

I would go for comets, last year I cleared a pond containing some large comets in June and they were full of spawn.

I put them in a retail vat which devoid of plants so it came to nothing but it was all I could do last year.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist