Fishing The Mull Of Galloway

peterseafishing

Fishing The Mull Of Galloway 20 July to 5 August 2006-08-06

First Trip Port Logan

Started fishing from the rocks with float fished sandeel worked well with lots of pollack to 2 1/2 lb with all fish returned. When I had ran out of frozen snadeel changed over to 3D hologram type sandeel lure fished with a 1 oz bullet and a 3 ft trace. I had lots of follows but the takes were few (water very clear ) On the packet I noted it said to try free lined the lure. Off with the bullet and a long wait for the lure to sink with only a short cast along side the kelp. The first cast resulted in a 4 ½ lb pollack and a very good fight, I saw the fish take the lure about 4 feet out. The action on these free lined eels is the best I have seen.

Bass Fishing Luce Bay

I was disappointed with the bass fishing with only one 2 ½ lb fish from four trips. This fish was one the first session and it fell to a silver / blue mackerel pattern plug. I tried other plugs and the to 3D hologram type sandeel lure but no takers.

Ardwell Bay

Once again targeting pollack with frozen sandeel from the rocks with good sucsess on small pollack. I also took several mackerel and one billet. Changed tactic to close in fishing for wrasse for a change caught lots of ballen but non over 1 lb still good fun on light tackle.

The gales start so Try The Mull at Tarbet

The wind had picked up making port logan and ardwell bay unfishable. The mull looked OK but on climbing down I was disgusted to see what looked like months of beer bottles cans old line sandeel packes and general rubish that can only have been left by fellow anglers when will they learn to take home the rubbish. Tried to float fish but the wind had picked up and I was unable to stop the slack line catching on the rocks. Started to fish straight down a couple of feet out hey presto pollack and wrasse again nothing big but good fun.

Back to Ardwell Bay

Fished into a gale on the only sheltered part of the bay and the pollack were soon being caught on frozen sandeel. Soon ran out of bait so in desperation tried the to 3D hologram type sandeel lure as the sea was rough I think it put a good action on these lures and I continued to catch fish to 3 lb

Next Year

Next year planning for year of tope and bass fishing. I am taking the big bot out of Whitby (mooring cost to high) and having at least 12 months on a refit. The caravan and 16 foot ally tin bath booked in for the season. Money saved on mooring fees will more the cover caravan site fee and boat storage + fuel for several trips.

prp