Breaking strength on monofilament tested

EFTTA

Also, the lines are sold in a dry condition so this is where the breaking strength should apply.

They are never used dry, though. Unless damaged or knotted elsewhere, lines will always break at the wet end because that's where the knots are. ISO-2062 is a general standard for the dry breaking strain of yarns. I understand the value of using an ISO standard, but I'm not sure that it's actually the most appropriate test to use.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's being over zealous, what about temperature? UV exposure after 10 hours? after 50 hours?

Temperature might matter, in which case it should be standardised to something typical. Ageing/UV exposure aren't really relevant, IMO; what I'm interested in comparing is the wet BS of brand new line. What use is it to me if a manufacturer can boast of a super-high dry breaking strain for diameter, if the wet bs is actually worse than average?

As long as the packaging says dry breaking strain, then I think it only fair that that is what is tested.

Have you got any spools to hand? I've got spools of Daiwa, Maxima, Bayer and Drennan lines in front of me, and none of them state the conditions under which the BS was tested. In fact, none of them actually say what the "6lb" whatever actually relates to!