Your all time favourite Angling Books

BobH

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you mean the Osprey book you're right, I did!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Thanks Steve

I think there is something for every one in the book and we are lucky to have some brilliant contributions from some fantastic anglers within the pages.

The sales are going okay, but it's hard to sell book these days if they are not Carp dominated.

The best thing about the book, the profits are going to Cancer Research UK.

Bob

I like books that tell stories about significant fishing events/achievements, with a bit of instruction thrown in. My two favourites are Terry Lampard's First Cast, and Tony Miles's Chasing Dreams. As well as being interesting and entertaining, they've both helped me improve my own fishing.

The introduction to Richard Walker's Stillwater Angling should be required reading for all budding specimen hunters!

Derek Quirk's Big Bream book helped me a lot when I was chasing the Wingham bream, plus told some amazing stories about Queenford.

Finally, the Redmire book (can't renember the proper title or who wrote it! Len Arbery?) is a superb history of that enigmatic little pond, a great fireside book. I must try to get my own copy!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• 2 weeks later...

Aye - knew you'd like it...

C.

I did like it very much. I wasn't sure what to expect from Casting at the Sun because of the subject matter but it could've been written about an obsession with any species really, I think it's a much better read than The Deepening Pool but that's a bit like saying that a 7lb chub is a much better fish than a 6lb chub.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I did like it very much. I wasn't sure what to expect from Casting at the Sun because of the subject matter but it could've been written about an obsession with any species really, I think it's a much better read than The Deepening Pool but that's a bit like saying that a 7lb chub is a much better fish than a 6lb chub.

Funny cos I think the Deepening Pool is much better than CATS - love the photography in Deepening Pool for one....

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

The Waterlog Years and The Fishermans Bedside Book are great for dipping in and out of. Catch a Big Fish by David Carl Forbes was the book that really got me dreaming about fishing, must have read that 5 times over now. Beneath The Black Water has to be up there as well, not that I'm much of a trout fisherman but it's so passionately written. A Ferox is definitely on the to catch list now.

"the countryside must be experienced in its worst weather to appreciate the shades of its beauty"

Odd thing about obsessions, the chase, the ultimate weight, catching something you consider a goal !!

Is a 7lb Chub better than a 6lb Chub ?

Well that's the question, I have a number of mates who have caught British records and for the most part they don't see it as a great achievement, in fact all have gone onto other targets !!

There must be a book in that statement.

Now if it was a 10lb Chub ?

Bob

My favourite would have to be "Mr Crabtree goes fishing" classic book with lovely illustrations but also informative

I liked the pictures in Mr Crabtree Goes Fishing ( I still have the Book which advocates a Treble hook in a par boiled potatoes for Carp Fishing, but it was R. Walker did it for me !!

Bob