Your all time favourite Angling Books

BobH

Just finished Casting at the Sun, I had to ration myself to a few pages per day. What a brilliant book! I found myself googling the locations (mainly country pubs) to see if they're still there. It's sad in some ways because what I got from the book was a real sense of lost angling, even up to the late seventies it was still possible to find unfished waters and friendly landowners but as carp fishing established itself the opportunities were either built upon or leased to clubs. I suppose if you can't do it anymore then the next best thing is to read about it and this book does take you back to the days when carp were a revered species....and difficult to catch.

Highly recommended!

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some familiar titles in my list:

A Dream of Jewelled Fishes - John Aston
Fish, Fishing and the Meaning of Life - Jeremy Paxman

On Fishing - Brian Clark

All Ways Fishing - Roger Standen

In Visible Waters - John Bailey

To Rise a Trout - John Roberts

A Passion For Angling -Yates - James - Miles

The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway

Salmon Fishing In The Yemen - Paul Torday

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm amazed that no-one's mentioned "Favourite Swims" by Fred J Taylor. More inspiring than anything else and I loved it. Worth the read if only for the Dick Walker chapter where he hangs up a sack of dead Rooks and goes back when they were "dripping". I believe it's been reprinted recently.

If I had to choose just one book it would be this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spinners-Delight-by-CW-Thurlow-Craig-Hutchinson-hardcover-1951-/271771233172?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f46d3eb94

Inspirational, entertaining, how it was when I started out on a life-time of lure fishing, never tired of rereading this one.

I have dozens of angling books, many classics but that is my absolute number one.

And grab a copy of An Angler for All Seasons - the Sheringham anthology while you're at it Any writer that can wax lyrical about chub is a good egg in my book (he also recounts days on the Kennet - which will have you trying to work out exactly where!)

This one is on its way.

• 3 weeks later...

Has it arrived yet? Hope you're enjoying it !

C.

It has Chris and I went straight to the Kennet chapter, some pretty big clues as to where he was (alas it's no longer with us). I think I prefer Yates style of writing but they are from different eras, All Seasons is a a lovely read all the same.

Having recently read In Visible Waters by John Bailey can anyone recommend anything else by him they consider to be on a par?

Here's a couple I reviewed for AN many years ago!

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/book-and-media-reviews/reflections_from_the_waters_edge.html

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog