Mystery object, what is it?

bluerinse

blue-1.jpg

Blue-2.jpg

I purchased today from a charity shop 3 bits I found in a box

A Pike Gaff head

A home made lure (which is fantastic and very well made)

and an item that I have never seen before, it is a lead with a steel rod running through, each end has a point and a barb, there is also a lope of steel for I presume attaching it, this is in the center.

This is definatly for angerling but I have no idea. If anyone knos I would be keen to learn, also aproximate date, I presume all 3 items are of a simmiler age.

cheers

{I cropped and resized the photos to make them fit into a single screen on most monitors. }

Edited by Newt

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

Looks like a gorge to me, the line would be tried to the eye in the middle and the thing then baited up and cast thrown or plced in the water . the fish woud then swallow the bait the resistance from the line would cause the gorge to turn right angles in the fishes mouth or throat and you could then bring it in, usually dead.

It is from the days when fishing was for the pot and I believe they have been illegal for some time in the UK.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Yes its a standard gorge hook used for catching pike for the pot. Wouldnt mind betting a collecter would be interested in all three of those items.

Thanks guys,

All 3 items are now in my display case, I had never seen a gorge hook before. Pretty barbaric Item.

I had kind of though that’s what it was for just by looking at it but was not sure.

Anyone like to guess a date, I think properly 1940's - 1950's

Cheers

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"