Spam and Luncheon meat

Kappa

Apparently there was a programme at 10:00 on tv last night featuring Terry Jones (Monty Python) talking about things he regretted in his life - one of which was the Spam sketch. I didn't see it, so I don't know why he regretted it. Did anyone else?

I saw the programme you mention, but didn't get the idae he was regretful of it?? He seemd to be quite hppy for waht I saw. But I did put the kettle on halfway through!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I work in the grocery trade and I can confirm that there still is a market for tinned meat (albeit one that's been in decline for several years) and there are people that still buy luncheon meat, chopped pork & ham, bacon grill, turkey roll etc etc. I've no idea though just how much of these sales are down to anglers, but I would have thought quite a lot probably is.

Spam has re-invented itself several times over the years and the brand owners would only thank Monty Python for all the free publicity that they're still giving them - I think Spamalot will be in the West End soon.

I tend to buy large chunks of the stuff off the deli counters nowadays, just easier to deal with when prepping baits up at home, but processed meat is still one of the killer baits.

Our chief weapon is surprise

Perhaps he just got a bit fed up with people reciting the sketch at him everywhere he went (like John Cleese did with the Dead Parrot)? :lol:

over the years have eaten spam and luncheon meat and used as bait but as it has doubled in cost recently neither i nor the fish can afford it

Jimpy, if cost is a problem, I can recommend those tinned hot dog sausages you can get for 12-19 pence for half a dozen. Had some good catches on those.

Jimpy, if cost is a problem, I can recommend those tinned hot dog sausages you can get for 12-19 pence for half a dozen. Had some good catches on those.

I'll second that, both my PB barbel and PB chub came to tinned hotdog sausages, and the really cheap and nasty ones!

Mat

Mat

Nothing wrong with good old luncheon meat,love the stuff,eat it straight out of the can or fried is very nice thankyou! :thumbs::yeah:

When i was a lad we lived in a lake,ate a handful of gravel for breakfast and we had to get up for work before we went to bed........luncheon meat a luxury!!! :lol:

With my silken line and delicate hook,i wander in a myriad of ripples and find freedom!

gravel for breakfast pah!!!! you were lucky

i used to have to get up half an hour before i went to bed..................................and so on

used to pay 45-47p for luncheon meat now 95p per tin

and for personal consumption corned beef 37p now nearly 90p wtf

will try the hot dogs thanks :thumbs::thumbs:

MOH.gifmynewsiggy.gif

www.electricunclesam.com

yes they do those are the bloody prices/places im quoting :angry::angry:

i do live in the real world

nout wrong with spam i catch big barble and eels on it and i take the left overs to work the next day for my lunch dont buy the cheap rubbish buy spam £1.29 tin and if you chop it small and i mean small what a great bottom bait /ground bait it is and i have lots of doubles (barble that is on it )