New multiplier reel

Norfolkdan

Hi guys,

My interest in sea fishing has been re-kindled recently, so I'm looking forward to getting out often for the cod this winter.

I have a nice bass rod which I've never used and can be used with a multi. Looking for a half decent one to get me going, with a level wind and preferrably no more than £30-£40.

Look forward to hearing suggestions.

Dan :)

Dan

You might find a decent secondhand reel on ebay for that sort of money. Level wind models are usually cheaper than the ct's. You won't go far wrong with an ABU, Penn, Daiwa or similar, just think about what your wanting it to do before you make your final decision. If you want it for close range, pier or boat work then a level wind reel will work for you, if you want it for beachcasting off Norfolk / Suffolk beaches I'd be inclined towards a ct as distance can be a factor on a lot of the beaches there.

Edited by Holmesy

Norfolkdan, Presumably you are beach fishing? I wouldn't advise buying a level-wind under any circumstances. You'd be better off saving up another £20 and buying a good CT reel, like an ABU 6500 mag-elite. You can expect to pick a nice one up second-hand for £50.

As already said, looking around for a good 2nd hand one will be your best option.

Suggest lightwieght Abus Or Penn(525/535) for beachcasting. But if you're going out on the boats something a little heavier may be called for. Such as Diawa Slosh 20/30. All good reels.

Don't forget your shockleader !! :P:P

The Older I get .. The better I was.