Lessons from a Yank!

Peter Waller

For a start off coffee should be served strong, and I mean strong. Two desert spoons of 'full strength' in a mug is about right. As for rare steaks, the pulse must still be pumping blood! And as for rain, time to head for home.

But on the fishing front things got interesting. My late brother was always a great fan of closed face reels on a baitcasting rod. Personally I found them useless when it came to pike fishing. But Newt's generosity changed all that! A Rhino RSC3 closed face reel is the answer in that it is built like a tank and allows back winding, thus overcoming the downside of all three ABU closed face reels that I have owned, namely the clutch. Thanks Newt, great reel. I can recommend them to anyone who is intimidated by a multiplier but fancies using a baitcasting rod.

Then we have the small matter of flavours and scents. Newt is angling's answer to the Avon Lady! Plenty of smellies in stock. I am convinced that they help. I have fished days with and days without, and 'with' days have all been better.

Fishing floats, now we have got those yanks licked at that game! Newt presented me with a handfull of 'Sponge Bob Square Pants' floats. My Grandkids think they are great and insist on using them, but they are like small pike bungs!

And then we come onto latex!!! Thanks Newt, something of an eye opener there. I've been back to Fritton and 'bass' fished for pike all round Skippy's summer home, great sport! Nothing huge but great, great fun with a goodly number of small pike coming out from the margins . Even taken the concept into salt water, once again nothing big, but, by way of a change, excellent. I can only say to folks 'go on, give it a try'. We are streets behind the Yanks on soft bodied stuff but its worth trying. Even if you don't catch it is fun doing it.

Head lamps, now Newt had a handfull of lights that fit under the brim of a ubiquitous Yanky baseball cap, brillient, absolutely fantastic. Puts those headband jobbies that we have into touch. The one he gave me was green, great, doesn't kill my night sight, excellent colour for peering down a pike's gullet as the green emphasises the red bits. Well pleased with that one.

It was a pleasure having Newt and Jan in the house, but the fun of that has extended through the summer by way of the bassing stuff that he brought along. Thanks guys.

Got to agree about the green led headlamp. I even found another use for it the other night, once i'd pinched it back from Sammy that is. It's just perfect to clip onto a bivvy/shelter/brolly, light enough to tie rigs and stuff but doesn't compromise your night vision.

Thankyou very much Mr & Mrs Newt. :)

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

Used my "headlamp" a few times recently, I quite like the green glow, and the soft spread of light. Great for netting fish :)

What is the idea behind the flashing option?

Any idea how long the batteries should last, at £5.0 a pair, they are not cheap!

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

LOL - thanks guys and glad you enjoyed the goodies from across the pond.

Den - I use the light about like you do; for landing a fish, baiting up, and packing up. I've had one for several years and the batteries are still fine. I really don't know how many hours they are good for but more than the rated 75 hours I think. Replacement CR2032 3V batteries shouldn't be that expensive. About $6 (3.20 GBP) per pack of 4 over here.

Jan & I had a wonderful time and the chance to see, first hand, some of the differences in the way we approach angling was great.

Peter, those bobbers were a bit large (and bright). I do use them but I replace the original wire with a paper clip and hang one on my line as a bite indicator. Slides easily but stays on the line until I remove it. Works nicely if fishing from a boat at anchor since regular bite alarms are way too sensitive. Works well from shore if you are too tight to pay for bite alarms too. :D :D

Ant - glad Jan had a chance to meet you and sorry my schedule didn't permit it.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I've often thought that myself Den, what's the flashing bit all about? :wallbash:

Used my "headlamp" a few times recently, I quite like the green glow, and the soft spread of light. Great for netting fish :)

Any idea how long the batteries should last, at £5.0 a pair, they are not cheap!

Den

Agree with all thats been said, i even use mine when i'm working cos it beats carrying a torch around with me, although the torch also doubled as a baton ;)

The flashing option IMO is for the cyclists amongst the anglers, set it to flash and it will draw the attention of vehicles to your presence so hopefully they won't hit you.

Den.........fiver a pair!!!!! are your batteries solid gold then?

I'm paying £1:50 a strip (5 batteries) from the local market and get around 10hrs use from each pair.

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them

Hello, Peter, hope the family is doing well. Just a few observations:

Newt is the exception when it comes to coffee. I usually call it his toxic sludge.

The sponge bob square pants bobbers also came in handy when we gave our 9 year old grandson a fishing kit for his birthday. Newt taught him how to cast, in their inground swimming pool, and the bobbers were perfect for weight purposes.

I made the call in heading back home when it started raining. I had experience too many days where I got sopping wet and just couldn't handle another day of it. :(

Glad the headlamps are working out great for all of you. Den, we did finally find where Newt put the batteries. They were in my tackle box. Trogg had also mentioned they might be an interesting item to wear when out clubbing. Sure would bring lots of added attention. I like the idea for when riding a bike at night. May have to get some for the older grandkids.

We had a great time with all of you and appreciate everyone's hospitality. We may even come back again - just let us know when you're in a major drought. We will fly over at your expense - first class, of course. :P

Edited by Jan V

" The pleasure was all mine ma'me" ,,,,,,,,,,,,,now where have I heard that before? :) :)

We still talk about the weather in " when Newt and Jan were here" terms :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic