Help with buying camera!

flank0

It looks like you've got a very good deal there! :)

The 620 should do very nicely indeed and good well be the perfect camera for you. Having 7 mexapixels instead of 5 will mean that you can enlarge the pictures more and this will come in very useful for wildlife shots. Even if the subject fills only part of the picture you can enlarge just this part and crop the rest out.

The only slight downside is that, having the same sensor as the 5 megapixel model, there will probably be a little more "noise" when shooting at high ASA ratings. This isn't something to worry about though for the sort of pictures you're likely to take and is a small price to pay. I've mentioned it only for the benefit of other readers who may find this important.

My own camera is the Canon S2IS. This is similar to your's but has a 12x zoom so is excellent for wildlife photograhy, especially as it has image stabilisation to reduce camera shake. This is especially important with such a powerful zoom. The S2IS is also better for extreme close-ups, and here the image stabilisation again helps for handheld shots. The downside is that it's bigger and heavier.

The alternative would be a digital SLR which would mean foregoing the flip round screen for self-portraits, carting a lot more bulk and weight around, and would cost very much more, especially if the image stabilisation were built into each lens. Yes dSLR fans, I know there are advantages too! The S2IS is available from around £225 including carriage.

There's a new version out now, the S3IS. The main differences are that it has a bigger screen (still flip round though), can shoot at a higher ASA rating and has 6 megapixels instead of 5. However the sensor has been improved so that the extra megapixel doesn't result in more noise. Cost is from around £275 including carriage.

BTW, you can fit supplementary wide angle and telephoto lenses to many of Canon's digital cameras, including all four I've mentioned in this post. I've not tried this myself.

Has anyone else?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see, i wish you had said all that before steve!!! :rolleyes:

But i can still cancel the camera & order a different camera, if i were to change this camera & pay an extra bit of cash which camera should i go for then, for good shutter,low noise,flip screen a camera which is good for wild life aswell as taking just still pictures :)

il be awaiting your reply so i can re- order.

can anyone find it cheaper than this camera

I must get it ordered today, i wont get time rest of week , can anyone tell me if the canon S2IS is better than the canon a620 in most accounts...please :)

Edited by flank0

I see, i wish you had said all that before steve!!! :rolleyes:

But i can still cancel the camera & order a different camera, if i were to change this camera & pay an extra bit of cash which camera should i go for then, for good shutter,low noise,flip screen a camera which is good for wild life aswell as taking just still pictures :)

il be awaiting your reply so i can re- order.

can anyone find it cheaper than this camera

I must get it ordered today, i wont get time rest of week , can anyone tell me if the canon S2IS is better than the canon a620 in most accounts...please :)

About £25 less expensive at http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/photography/d...s/567072/prices There's 3 almost identical prices from different firms, all with very good customer feedback. I'll leave it to you to check them out and see what package deals they offer.

I would have mentioned it earlier but you posted that your budget was only £200. Don't forget though that the S3IS is bigger and heavier, although this may not be important to you.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

i see the price for 250 but cant find the actual shop when i click on it... any ideas what shop that is for 250?

There's 3 shops around £275 that's £25 less than the link you posted, although with postage it's £278.94. Here's the link: http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/photography/d...s/567072/prices

Hi thx mate....I had a few problems getting hold of the a620 from photo sense & most other places didnt have any in stock, but it did say on there sites that it was in stock....i placed the order with fotosense & rang them a day later asking them if it were sent,they said it isnt in stock & they would have them wednesday & sent it thursday so i rang them again yesterday & asked if it had been sent again & they said erm... im sorry we wont have any in till a few weeks maybe even longer :( so i decided i wanted a camera soon as possible & dropped the a620 along with the variangle & went for the canon a700 with 6x zoom & 2.5 inch lcd.

tell me its a good camera :)

Flanko, you have a reply to your PM.

:( im not an expert on camera's, & i assume your joking about it being rubbish <_<

iv just ordered the a700 i really hope your joking there mate :o:unsure::schmoll: & i cant cancel now it's on its way to me :)

Edited by flank0

Guest Finepix
:( im not an expert on camera's, & i assume your joking about it being rubbish <_<

iv just ordered the a700 i really hope your joking there mate :o:unsure::schmoll: & i cant cancel now it's on its way to me :)

Of course I was joking (that's what the smiley laughing face was all about). If I thought it was rubbish I wouldn't have replied to the post.

For what your after it's ideal.

Have fun with your new toy :)

Julia.