Unusual catch

Ken L

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He did catch it on a rubber frog at a place that apparently used to be an aquatics centre of some kind.

The picture that he sent was also entitled "Frog_on_frog" but how on earth could you tell that because the title information doesn't come up when I hit the properties button ?

I've not tried those fog lures myself because the Heddon Moss Boss does just about everything I could ask for from a surface lure and I've tried to many topwaters that are all but useless.

Russell, I've had most success with chub off the top using either a Heddon baby torpedo (dull colours) with a stredy retrieve or big deerhair bugs fished on a flyrod. Great fun but a simple spinner will usually outfish both methods.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Guest Ferret1959
The picture that he sent was also entitled "Frog_on_frog" but how on earth could you tell that because the title information doesn't come up when I hit the properties button ?

It shows Frog_on_frog when you hover the pointer over the thumbnail. :)

It shows Frog_on_frog when you hover the pointer over the thumbnail. :)

Not on my PC, but I saved it to the desktop so I could zoom in for a closer look, and if you click "Save target as" (rather than "Save picture as"), that's when it came up with "Frog on frog". :)

He did catch it on a rubber frog at a place that apparently used to be an aquatics centre of some kind.

I've not tried those fog lures myself because the Heddon Moss Boss does just about everything I could ask for from a surface lure and I've tried to many topwaters that are all but useless.

Russell, I've had most success with chub off the top using either a Heddon baby torpedo (dull colours) with a stredy retrieve or big deerhair bugs fished on a flyrod. Great fun but a simple spinner will usually outfish both methods.

oh yeah...doh!

i use the phat rat,and hawg wobbler(best lure ever!) alot too,i have been told before that abu droppen spinners are good for chub,i do have a fly rod that is yet to be used (given to me by a workmate),i bought a few flies liek black gants and mayflys and a kool daddy long legs repilca :)

talking about chub on lures over on p+p forum too,do you have to se them to catch them on lures?

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

Talking about chub on lures over on the p+p forum too,do you have to see them to catch them on lures?

No. but you're much more likely to find chub in a lure munching mood in shallow water of a couple of feet or less that's got a bit of flow on it. I supose that this is because this is where they'd naturally chase fry.

I have caught them on lures in deep slow water but I'd never bank on it.

Number one lure for be would be a size 3 Mepps Anguila in silver although heavier lures like the Droppen's do come out if the fish are at long range.

Sometimes they are in an agressive mood and the rod will yank over with astonishing ferocity when you get a bite but at other times (especially when fishing rock bars) the fish will follow the lure and it's not uncommon to watch the take, strike and hook a fish without feeling a thing - 'tis why good polaroids come in handy.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Number one lure for be would be a size 3 Mepps Anguila

Think you mean the Aglia, Ken - you must have eels on the brain without realising. :)

No. but you're much more likely to find chub in a lure munching mood in shallow water of a couple of feet or less that's got a bit of flow on it. I supose that this is because this is where they'd naturally chase fry.

I have caught them on lures in deep slow water but I'd never bank on it.

Number one lure for be would be a size 3 Mepps Anguila in silver although heavier lures like the Droppen's do come out if the fish are at long range.

Sometimes they are in an agressive mood and the rod will yank over with astonishing ferocity when you get a bite but at other times (especially when fishing rock bars) the fish will follow the lure and it's not uncommon to watch the take, strike and hook a fish without feeling a thing - 'tis why good polaroids come in handy.

ok,so maybe i should throw smaller lures more often,i got a good pair of polariods :D thanks for the tips

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!