I can't afford a 350 D

phil dean

I really miss using an slr, and though i've had some success with my little fuji I really fancy getting back into photography with an SLR.

In particular, I like the idea of taking shots in RAW.

I also like having zoom lenses, which have useful depths of field.

There are various other elements I would like, and the 350D ticks all the boxes, the problem is the price. I have a choice, I either don't get a camera, and if I don't get one this year it will probably be a fair few years until I do, or I buy something cheaper.

I've seen the 7000 for sale at around £230 including a reasonable zoom, I've seen the next one up (9500 ?) for just over £300.

If you had a limited budget, but had a choice of buy one now or don't get one at all, what would you do, and if you were to buy a camera for between £200 and £300 what would you get?

Opinions welcome, but please note that the, spend more money, comment isn't a choice.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask yourself this, will you be happy with a cheap digital, or will you still yearn for a digital SLR.

Bear in mind if you buy the 350D (even later) that a quality lense will cost you over £300.

I wish you well, on what is not an easy choice to make.

If all else fails, follow the intructions.

Phil, I'm still investigating but it seems you can get a 300d for around £300 on ebay, this is a great price for a great camera. I will have a proper look later tonight but this camera with s standard kit lens should set you up for a good time to come. The trouble is is getting anything between £200 and £300 tends to mean less in the way of features. As I said I need to investigate further but that tended to mean reduced depth of field or aperture which is something you'll regret later, of that I am certain.

Maybe you can tell us what it was in particular in the 350d that ticked your boxes?

Steve...:)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

I really miss using an slr, and though i've had some success with my little fuji I really fancy getting back into photography with an SLR.

In particular, I like the idea of taking shots in RAW.

I also like having zoom lenses, which have useful depths of field.

There are various other elements I would like, and the 350D ticks all the boxes, the problem is the price. I have a choice, I either don't get a camera, and if I don't get one this year it will probably be a fair few years until I do, or I buy something cheaper.

I've seen the 7000 for sale at around £230 including a reasonable zoom, I've seen the next one up (9500 ?) for just over £300.

If you had a limited budget, but had a choice of buy one now or don't get one at all, what would you do, and if you were to buy a camera for between £200 and £300 what would you get?

Opinions welcome, but please note that the, spend more money, comment isn't a choice.

Well 'Phil', have you considered this rout:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0009U5...ce&n=560798

Nikon D50, at amazon for £79 over budget? thats a fair deal for an SLR 'D' camera/lens?

Just a thought :unsure:

:ph34r:

Edited by CJS2

you guys are too good.

box ticking requirements.... the "feel" of the camera

depth of field and apperture settings are clearly important

my ideal camera when I used to sell them (20 years ago) was the T90, i made do with a p30, and regretted it, however these days there's not just me to think of. My wife's ill and wont get better so I have to consider the likelihood that we'll lose her income.

Were I single the decision would be made.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

What about this one Phil..Canon Powershot S3 IS ? Add a converter lens, and you have the lot in one package..

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digit...shot_S3_IS.html

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

The other avenue I was investigating has turned up trumps. If you bought the 300D there is a third party firmware version that once installed gives you most of the features that the 10D has...the 10D is a much better camera and the price is way over budget for you.

I've been using this firmware version for a little over a year now with nothing bad happening o the camera as a result of it.

My camera is the Digital Rebel, a slightly improved 300D version and I needed to check that the firmware worked with the 300D, which it does. So for £300 you could get a very good camera anyway, with the option to upgrade the firmwware to a better cameras spec for free. Here are some of the added benefits from the firmware upgrade.

===========================

“UnDutchables 0.2.3 firmware” for the Canon Digital Rebel (300D)

Released March, 2005

All enhancements over Canon 1.1.1

Enhancement over UnDutchables 0.1.0 are in italic font.

· Custom function menu found on the last page in the menu

· Ability to define how the SET button behaves (same menu found on the 10D - refer to the 10D manual for

full explanation of these new enhancements)

· Exposure level increments either 1/2 or 1/3-stop

· Option to enable 1/200th flash speed sync in AV mode

· Ability to change the JPG size when shooting in RAW mode

· Shutter release with or without CF card

· FEC adjustment via the JUMP button, use the dial to adjust as shown on the LCD, only in Creative

Modes

· ISO3200 now available, and is represented by an "H" in the LCD - same as how the 10D shows this

· Mirror lockup available via enabling the option in the custom function, works by pressing the shutter

button which flips the mirror up, then the shutter opens after the timeout defined in C.Fn17 after MLU -

note that this is different than how it is implemented on the 10D where you press once to flip the mirror

and press again to open the shutter

· Mirror lockup delay adjustable via C.Fn17 – possible delay includes 1.5 sec, 3 sec, 4.5 sec, 6 sec, 7.5

sec, and 10 sec

· Immediately pressing the ERASE button after taking a photo, you can delete the photo by pressing the

SET button again instead of selecting Ok previously, to not delete the photo press any other key

· In Creative modes, right button changes the focus mode and is displayed on the LCD as follows:

o AF OF Lens set to manual focus

o AF OS One shot

o AF SE AI-Servo (selectable but cannot take a photo - one workaround, press left to release the

shutter)

o AF AI AI-Focus (first takes one shot then the camera may switch to AI-servo depending on what

you are focussing on)

· Continues Drive in Basic Mode

· White balance selection in Basic modes

· Custom Function 1 available in basic modes enabling:

o Quality Select via SET button

o Parameter select via SET buttons

o Menu via SET button

o Image Replay via SET button

· White balance bracketing is working is basic modes.

· Full menu’s available in basic modes.

· Left button press turns AF off, release turns AF on again. Effectively this puts the lens in manual mode

while the left button is pressed. Pressing it when in AI-Servo mode will therefore release the shutter. You

loose AF during button press though. This means that AI servo does not support predictive focusing.

The shutter button must be released before focusing and shooting again.

===========================

Added to the above are custom menus where you can make your own sets of settings should you require it, I have not needed to yet.

Obviously, I have this fimware upgrade if you do go ahead and get this camera, or if anyone else needs it too.

Steve...:)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

btw I assume that the 300D just attaches to the PC via a normal usb cable?

It certainly does, but you need to make sure you get the original software with it. (or you can have a free loan of mine if not).

If all else fails, follow the intructions.