Marker Rod?

JBee123

I have bought a Nash marker rod and am having trouble using it. Basically speaking I cant seem to find features with it. Depth marking is easy and I am happy with this, but apparently I should be able to see what the bottom is like through feel and action of the tip as I wind in?

I am using braid and a feature finding weight.

Can anyone give me any tips as to what I am doing wrong, or is this just what I should expect from a Marker?

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/authors/gaffer01.htm

Try this article it may guide you in the right direction.

:thumbs:

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

I have bought a Nash marker rod and am having trouble using it. Basically speaking I cant seem to find features with it. Depth marking is easy and I am happy with this, but apparently I should be able to see what the bottom is like through feel and action of the tip as I wind in?

I am using braid and a feature finding weight.

Can anyone give me any tips as to what I am doing wrong, or is this just what I should expect from a Marker?

When you cast out trap the line as soon as it hits the water and keep a tight line, when the lead hits the bottom you should be able to feel what type of ground it's landed on (donk = something hard, softer landing = silty,sandy)

When dragging the lead back to feel for features, the best way i found how to learn to read the swim was to practice in the margins. Find a shallow margin where you can see what the bottom is like then drag your setup accross it to see how it feels on different surfaces (especially through weed). It takes time to get a feeling for it but it's worth it in the long run.

It is very difficult for someone to tell you what a sandy bottom feels like compared to a silty one, it is something only experience can teach.

Paul.

There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..

The simple answer could be that the lake you're exploring is pretty much featureless! Many are. :)

Nah tried it on a few different lakes one of which in particular I know to have a gravel bottom.

Thanks for the help anyway guys I shall put these into practice next time I am allowed out to play!