Barbless hooks and safety

Anderoo

Kids should be taught the basics and i believe that there is a scheme to bring it into schools but i can't find the article at the mo!

Was it this one?: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/shropshire/4258232.stm

I remember some talk at the time about the EA wanting to try this at some other schools, but it all seems to have gone a bit quiet recently (Yes, I know they're on holiday at the moment!).

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is this rubbish about fishing being an art,if there is such an art to fishing then my four year old wouldn't be able to stick a float in the water and catch a fish!!! :lol:

Kids should be taught the basics and i believe that there is a scheme to bring it into schools but i can't find the article at the mo!

Take him out fishing for mullet in a river estuary rather than a muddy hole full of pet carp. I'll bet he won't catch much then.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

The licence system could be tiered so being relevant to all of anglings many areas.ie a predator licence would be required to fish for predators and only be obtainable after instruction in basic techniques and handling/unhooking skills.

cracking idea,i for one would love to see it set up and enforced-i'd enforce it.

RE- eels,yes they do rid themselves of single hooks i have seen it,also with regards to pike and to soem extent zander.i was discussing with another predator angler,he was saying on several occasions he has landed pike with another trace in there throats,he said the trebels was just out of sight with a SLOW and VERY GENTLE pull he could get to it.....but it had already partially broken down,obviously not all hooks break down quick,depends on teh matreial used to make the hook i suppose,anyway it took me back to when i have hauled in snags,complete with leads..feeders..and even wire traces...and guess what?...the trebels on them like teh swivels on teh leads and feeders had broken down or were very brittle....food for thought....

i will say this,ITS NO EXCUSE FOR DEEP HOOKING,and all hooks should be removed if it is possible,we can never be sure wether they rid themselves off hooks or not.

i wouldnt put a pike or any other fish back with a trace or hook in there throat,its not fair,i would rather put them out of their misery.

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

I'll echo the sentiments of one or two above.

Angling is one of the few things where you are relatively unhindered by law to pursue a quarry through deception, and as such even those who have been angling 20 years are always learning new tactics.

As kids we took carrier bags of trout out of our local river in a session - these days I take maybe two or three a season, and only ever when someone has requested one (never just in case). That conservational aspect of angling is something you simply cannot appreciate as a child and I think knocking them for enjoying themselves is simply wrong. We used to fish for trout with 2lb line, and were snapped off all the time. Yet as time progressed (on our own accord) we became better and more responsible anglers, and learnt about the tackle to use in a given situation.

No doubt our actions did lead to some fish being harmed, but I am not niave enough to believe that every fish an experienced angler puts back has a 100% chance of survival.

It's truthfully quite a challenging sport - although lets not kid ourselves, it's a sport not an art. There are artistic elements (as there are with all sports) but essentially it's a sport about getting fish out of water. It's odd - on the continent, especially scandavian countries, they don't pratt about with fishing - if they want a fish they go for the best method possible to get it out of the water the quickest. Meanwhile you go trout fishing in this country with breadflake - despite it working very well on many rivers, experienced trout anglers will frown because it's not the done thing. If you ask me that kind of mentality is bad for a sport - and does nothing to encourage youngsters to learn.

Most experienced anglers have had no tuition themselves and their actions are only based (in the main) on heresay and books written by non-scientific folk i.e. other anglers. Few people bother to read scientific publications produced by universities into the impact of fishing methods on fish populations, and until you do it really doesn't put any of us in a more qualified position to believe we are right than anyone else.

In terms of light line use I often find the biggest culprits are the so called expert experienced anglers, in a constant bid to go lighter and lighter yet take bigger and bigger fish - almost like it's a bloody competition - this is where the art side of it becomes confused occasionally with trophy fishing. We have people come in the shop taking 5lb line for carp fishing - certainly possible - but I go with 12lb, and on very rare occasions a braid. We can probably all land a decent carp on 5lb line, but can we do it 100% safely and without risk - I think not.

I have recently took up golf - and despite many people seeing it as a snobbish sport of sorts I can go around a course hacking away with a score of 105, and still don't get the looks that I see anglers give youngsters. By all means offer advice if you feel it's appropriate, but don't assume you are always right as an angler, and don't forget we all buggered about as kids, and that is just part of growing up.

On the other hand an up to date best practices book and a copy of the fishing rules and regs and a copy of local byelaws SHOULD be included FOC with all licenses as standard.

Ian W

I wish to post the following statement:

All this talk of "kids enjoying themselves" is totally B.S. What we are talking about is the teenage yobs that go "fishing" with totally inappropriate tackle and think it funny to mutilate the fish ("ooh look, the f'ing fish is gone but I got his mouth!") If these "fishermen" were taught RESPECT (a word no longer used by the youth), we would no longer have mutilated fish!

Please remember YOU are paying to let them damage the fish! If the fish were looked after, we wouldn't see all the increases in prices of day tickets and club membership fees!

Edited by kleinboet

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

I have no problem going down in breaking strain if the conditions call for it. It's all about judgement, experience and and that old nutmeg balanced tackle. I can't get my head round this heavy tackle all the time stuff. If I'm fishing for dace, roach or such then I have no problem using 1lb hook length, with a suitable rod. Sure I have hooked bigger fish on occasion some I have landed some not, that's angling. I certainly am not going to fish with 6-8lb line all the time just in case something bigger comes along. I have no problem with fishing 6lb line for chub, barbel, tench or even if I fished for carp. Used with a rod of around 1.5 TC I feel confident enough to land fish to mid teens, in reasonably open water. The way things are going anything under 2.5 TC with 15lb line will be classed as light tackle. Some sections of angling seem to forget that there are more than a couple of species of fish in our waters, though for how long remains to be seen.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

When I sugested the licence only being issued after some instruction thing I knew many would be concerned about it putting newcomers off or making it harder for people to get into.Of course this must be avoided at all cost.

However judging by the many hundreds of emails,phone calls and even old fashioned letters I recieve from guys wanting to learn it proves there is certainly a lot who would welcome some form of basic instruction.So why is it left to people like me and Im sure many others including the various internet sites? simply because we are prepared to do so and there is no other established source.Why not link it to the rod licence? it would certainly help newcommers get the information they need and not fall foul of either lack of knowledge or ignorance of the rules.

It has never ceased to amaze me that you can buy a licence to fish but still go out there and be held responsible for breaking umpteen rules which arent made directly clear to you! In the days of the Water Authorities the important bye laws were printed on the back of your rod licence.It is easy to say that people should make the effort to find out about the rules but it doesnt help achieve the real goal of people knowing and sticking to them does it? Print them on the back of the licence and be done with it.

Also the same can be said for bad angling practices.yes they have existed for years and angling has survived.If we are prepared to accept that then fine and lets all shut up about deep hooking,poor handling,bad use of retaining equipment be it a net or a sack,people not having the correct tackle or even licences etc etc.After all if we are not prepared to change the system then we shouldnt citicise either it or the anglers it produces.

If we want things to change then we must forget about what has happened in the past and bring in a new system.Then and only then have we a right to moan.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Real, genuine angling is an art. Catching a fish isn't. No offence carpstar, but put your 4-year old on a lot of lakes or rivers and he won't catch anything. Same as many adults. :)

Well in that case does it make it an art? Let's be honest you could get an absolute beginner on a very hard water and they may just catch straight away,is this down to art,just plain luck or being in the right place at the right time? No offence mate but don't make angling out to be more than it is. :)

Take him out fishing for mullet in a river estuary rather than a muddy hole full of pet carp. I'll bet he won't catch much then.

My Daughter doesn't fish muddy holes full of pet carp as not everyone is interested in those sorts of places! :)

With my silken line and delicate hook,i wander in a myriad of ripples and find freedom!

When I suggested the licence only being issued after some instruction thing I knew many would be concerned about it putting newcomers off or making it harder for people to get into.Of course this must be avoided at all cost.

However judging by the many hundreds of emails,phone calls and even old fashioned letters I receive from guys wanting to learn it proves there is certainly a lot who would welcome some form of basic instruction.So why is it left to people like me and I'm sure many others including the various internet sites? simply because we are prepared to do so and there is no other established source.Why not link it to the rod licence? it would certainly help newcomers get the information they need and not fall foul of either lack of knowledge or ignorance of the rules.

It has never ceased to amaze me that you can buy a licence to fish but still go out there and be held responsible for breaking umpteen rules which aren't made directly clear to you! In the days of the Water Authorities the important bye laws were printed on the back of your rod licence.It is easy to say that people should make the effort to find out about the rules but it doesn't help achieve the real goal of people knowing and sticking to them does it? Print them on the back of the licence and be done with it.

Also the same can be said for bad angling practices.yes they have existed for years and angling has survived.If we are prepared to accept that then fine and lets all shut up about deep hooking,poor handling,bad use of retaining equipment be it a net or a sack,people not having the correct tackle or even licences etc etc.After all if we are not prepared to change the system then we shouldn't citicise either it or the anglers it produces.

If we want things to change then we must forget about what has happened in the past and bring in a new system.Then and only then have we a right to moan.

Once again I find myself agreeing with you Budgie....but alas once again, I feel I should point out why the present situation exists, Angling is badly represented, there are too many diverse committees and groups only interested in one form of angling , we (anglers) do not have (the NFA are a joke) a proper forceful voice fighting for the best interests of EVERY angler and I doubt you or I ever will mate.

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

Well in that case does it make it an art? Let's be honest you could get an absolute beginner on a very hard water and they may just catch straight away,is this down to art,just plain luck or being in the right place at the right time? No offence mate but don't make angling out to be more than it is. :)

If you know what you're doing, catching a fish isn't usually that hard and there's always an element of luck. The 'art' is being in tune with nature, understanding the weather, anticipating fish behaviour, reading the water, feeling part of it all. It's thinking in terms of flows and eddies. Catching a fish is the ephemeral made solid. The point at which your line enters the water is your connection to that different world.

That's what it means to me at any rate. No offence taken :)

To extend your logic, is art itself an 'art' (in the Turner Prize sense)? What is an art?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music