Fishing on Holiday

BoozleBear

Had a holiday for last 10 days in Wales and Norfolk. A fair bit of fishing was done so I thought I would let you know how it went.

We only fished one day in Wales, me, my friend Mattie, and our kids. We got day tickets for a nice stretch of the river Ython and found a nice bit with some fast water and deep pools that looked perfect for getting me my first chub.

Well, Mattie and I didn’t get to fish much as we were too busy unhooking and untangling for the kids, but we didn’t care! The water was clear and shallow, and we could see fish and aim for them. All the kids caught, from ages of 6 to 10, which is always good to see. A few chubletts and minnows were caught but the maggots mainly attracted gudgeon, many of which were 6-7 inches long, a size of gudgeon I have never seen, or caught before.

Mattie spotted another place for chub and Jack (my son, 9) and I went to investigate. We found the spot and started chucking out a few maggots, which chub were darting over to eat. They were all rather small, the biggest of which were pushing 1lb.

However, neither Jack or I had fished for or caught chub, so we were delighted with a few each, and they don’t half scrap nicely on light gear – much better than gudgeon!!!

We arrived in Norfolk at Friday lunchtime, at Dilham where my friend Stuart’s dad has a place with a private dyke at the end of the garden. We fished that afternoon for two or three hours and my daughter Ella (6) caught 4 roach and rudd and Jack tucked into a load of roach.

I also fished on the maggot for a bit and caught some roach and rudd, no bigger than 8oz and a nice 1lb perch. I also caught a skimmer of about 12oz and my first ever bronze bream, of around 3lb.

All the weights are guesses as Stu’s scales were rubbish. We weighed the bream abd it read 1lb. I said that was ridiculous, and put it in a keepnet and got 4 x 4oz sea fishing leads out of the fishing hut and popped them in the sling. It read 6oz!

That was a great shame as over the weekend, with the help of a good few buckets of breadcrumb and Van Den Eyde, and the odd pellet and maggot, I must have caught over 50 fish of 6 different species. Plus I caught a rudd that I swear must have been just over 1lb, which was by far a pb. But unfortunately nothing could be made official.

You may be re-counting…bronze bream…skimmer bream…roach…perch…rudd. That’s 5. Well, I also caught a ruffe, which I have never seen in the flech before. It was only about 4 inches long, but still a pleasant sight to see such a beautiful fish.

So not a bad week, my first chub, bronze bream, and ruffe, and a total smash of my rudd PB.

DELIGHTED!

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

Sounds like you had a great time - Bet you'll be buying a decent set of scales now!

And if you think ruffe are "beautiful", a pair of glasses wouldn't go amiss... :P:lol:

Sounds like you had a great time - Bet you'll be buying a decent set of scales now!

And if you think ruffe are "beautiful", a pair of glasses wouldn't go amiss... :P:lol:

Ruffe certainly have some beautiful colours on them 'though they are a bit spiky. Give you a good bite as well!

Ruffe certainly have some beautiful colours on them 'though they are a bit spiky. Give you a good bite as well!

Yes, I didn't realise they had a nip to them!

And they do look beauitful when you have fished for several years and never caught one!

www.myspace.com/boozlebear