Head torch

Anthony78

Hi guy's,

Hope you all had a great Xmas and are looking forward to the new year ahead?

I took advantage of the sales and ordered a new Chub head torch. Unfortunately this was out of stock and the tackle shop sent me a more expensive alternative in the form of a Fox Halo HT-90. Dont get me wrong it's a quality torch but having to go through all of the "safety features" to switch it off is incredibly annoying. I wanted a torch with a red light so as not to affect my night vision but in order to switch the torch off I then have to go through an EXREMELY BRIGHT white light, then a flashing red light, then a flashing white light by which point I've not only ruined my night vision but probably scared any present fish out of my swim as well as blinded any fisherman opposite. Ok, in all seriousness I know I could cover the light as I go through the unwanted settings but I'd rather ask you guys if you know of a light that has two settings only, a red 'night vision' light and a nice bright white light for walking back to the car etc. In addition to this I want these lights to work on a sliding switch so I can choose between one or the other rather than having to go through an unwanted setting to switch it off.

Does anyone have any reccomendations please?

Thanks in advance, Ant

Effort equals reward!!

Hi Ant, yes, I have a headtorch that exactly matches your description - I'm at work at the mo, but will post again later and let you know make/model.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Like you I had a 'bells & whistles' head torch - which was a pain to use so switched to an Argos cheapy some years ago which I much prefer - and at a fiver you can hardly go wrong!

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9349865.htm

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I'm another fan of the Energiser (just make sure it's the version with the red LED) as a general fishing torch. I have others that have much more powerful beams but for general use, the energiser is fine. It's not the most robust of torches in heavy rain or saltwater but it's cheap as chips with mine coming in at well under a tenner.

The other head light I use is about five years old now and is an earlier version of this. Mine is strapped to my cycling helmet and I used it as a light that goes wherever I look when I'm commuting home. It's cheap and ugly but I've used it every weekday of every winter for five years in all weathers and it is still going.

I've had expensive lights in the past but they're not worth the money. They're no more reliable and any benefits that you get from premium technology are outdated in 12 months anyway.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Hi guys,

Look what the girlfriend just bought me back from Asda :-).

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-webstore/landing/home.shtml#/product/910001423130

Its not the brightest head torch out there but it does exactly what I asked for. Thanks again for the replies, I'll keep your suggestions in mind if this ones no good.

I think the lesson here is.......when it comes to shopping, let the girlfriend do it :-)

Edited by Anthony78

Effort equals reward!!

Looks like an Energiser clone. Just be sure to have a backup.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

It does look very similar doesn't it. I have already asked the girlfriend to get me a couple more for my barbel bag and as a spare. Will also keep my fox one in the car, just incase ;)

Effort equals reward!!

I bought one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AYXG3E0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage last year mainly for astronomy use. Not expensive but very good, even though the battery cover is a bit stiff to get back on once you put batteries in.

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

The best ones I ever had were made by LED Lenser with an adjustable brightness control and an individual switch for both the red and white l.e.ds but unfortunately have not been available for a couple of years . As I trod on one I needed a back up and after some searching got one of these which are similar to the Lensers but without the brightness control. Seperate switches for red or white light and a battery pack which is waterproof.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351247190889?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Like 1