Camo red?

Casey

There is no point in wearing any kind of cammo fishing. Fishes optics and vision are not like a mammals. You can see the world 12-14 times better than any fish. Fish mostly can't see colour. They can perceive graduations in colour, contrast, detect movement. A brown trout can't focus on anything further than about 3 inches from its snout.

Somebody didn't tell the Trout that came charging across 6 feet of open water from a weedbed to nail my static Cranefly that his eyesight was bad.

Or the Trout we had charging all over a swim that we were feeding from a bridge with maggots. Some of them moved quite a distance & rarely missed.

As for Camo, if you're happy with it you'll probably fish better for it anyway & it can't do any harm. However the real solution to it all is just keeping still & quiet, do it for long enough & they'll just ignore you.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Somebody didn't tell the Trout that came charging across 6 feet of open water from a weedbed to nail my static Cranefly that his eyesight was bad.

Or the Trout we had charging all over a swim that we were feeding from a bridge with maggots. Some of them moved quite a distance & rarely missed.

As for Camo, if you're happy with it you'll probably fish better for it anyway & it can't do any harm. However the real solution to it all is just keeping still & quiet, do it for long enough & they'll just ignore you.

Peter the trout did not see the fly, it sensed it through its lateral line. With maggots they would smell them long before they saw them. Fish don't see the same colour gamut as we do. Some fish can see in infra red and some in near UV. Trout begin life with good near UV vision but this is phased out in older fish in exchange for a bit more visual spectrum and infra red. In short a trout can see colours you can't see, just like a dog can hear frequencies that you cannot hear. In the spectrum of light that you or I can see in a trout is limited to two or three inches.

But your right, the real trick is shut up and don't move. I've done that and have a trout eat oatcakes crumbs at my feet.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

A few years ago, while waiting for my son, I stood by a little stream right in the middle of Cardiff (behind the Royal College of Music, opposite a big park, for anyone who knows Cardiff). It was full of what seemed to be little grayling, roach etc.

As an experiment I jumped up and down as 'loudly' as I could. The fish came flocking in !! The more I jumped around - in very plain view of fish in crystal-clear water about 18" deep - the more they swam over my way ;) I still wonder if they had learned to associate bankside vibration with drunken revellers about to drop the remains of their kebab or fish+chips in the stream. Reminded me of the way carp match anglers make the biggest splash possible with balls of groundbait :)

Also, check out "total internal reflection" - at a certain distance/depth ratio the fish can't see you at all. All they see is a reflection of underwater stuff on the underside of the water surface (with allowances made of course for ripples, where they might theoretically see scattered fragments of you if indeed they can see that far at all )

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

A few years ago, while waiting for my son, I stood by a little stream right in the middle of Cardiff (behind the Royal College of Music, opposite a big park, for anyone who knows Cardiff). It was full of what seemed to be little grayling, roach etc.

As an experiment I jumped up and down as 'loudly' as I could. The fish came flocking in !! The more I jumped around - in very plain view of fish in crystal-clear water about 18" deep - the more they swam over my way ;) I still wonder if they had learned to associate bankside vibration with drunken revellers about to drop the remains of their kebab or fish+chips in the stream. Reminded me of the way carp match anglers make the biggest splash possible with balls of groundbait :)

Also, check out "total internal reflection" - at a certain distance/depth ratio the fish can't see you at all. All they see is a reflection of underwater stuff on the underside of the water surface (with allowances made of course for ripples, where they might theoretically see scattered fragments of you if indeed they can see that far at all )

I reckon the fish had never seen a madman before and were curious. :)

I reckon the fish had never seen a madman before and were curious. :)

Yeah, my son gave me a few funny looks too :)

So if fish can`t see in colour are all these different coloured maggots,corn,lures,flies,spinners etc wasted on them?

DS

Good question, though contrast seems a possible answer.

But I've always wondered how roach seem to love little specks of white breadpunch, yet are supposed to much prefer red maggots ????

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Fish also behave very differently according to how familar they are with human disturbance and whether or not this is linked with danger - if they're used to being fed (and not caught), they show no fear and will quite happily approach people for food. Dick Walker's carp, Clarissa, once in the London Zoo Aquarium, quite quickly learned to take bread from a keeper's hand - and that was what she was caught on!

So if fish can`t see in colour are all these different coloured maggots,corn,lures,flies,spinners etc wasted on them?

DS

Its not so much that they can't see colour at all. Its that they see colours you and I cannot. If you were to look at your bait through under black light (UV) then you might get a better idea of what the fish can see. Also not all species of fish have the same vision. A great whit shark has a completely different eye morphology to a catfish.

Think like a fish for a moment. If you lived under water you would not have much use for the red end of the spectrum because the red end is quickly absorbed by water. I don't know if you have ever been scuba diving or not. If you ever get a chance take a red smartie top and a blue smartie top with you. As you dive deeper you will notice that the blue will stay blue but quite soon the red one will appear black or green because ther is no red light to reflect.

Lures and spinners in all these flashy colours are more to catch anglers than fish. When I was a young un my old man always told me that 'fish can't read, they don't give a dam if your spinner has got ABU or Winfield stamped on it'

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote