New Hythe, Larkfield, Tidal Medway - Bass?

IHuntChub

dont laugh at me but some bloke was catching eels there today and he told me that you can catch bass from this point using lug/squid.

I know you can catch mullet but bass???

does anyone know any more on this stetch as i find it hard to believe as this part of the medway is very far up and how would bass be this far up?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Cuxton to the paper mill at Snodland the river holds gazillions of bass. Mostly schoolies. However, up to 8lbers have been taken up there using livebaits. There's no point in trying anything but livebaits or big lures in the top 2 ft of water. You'll just get a schoolie a cast or a big bait ripped to shreds. If you fish a live bait, fish it 18 inches beneath a big float. Above the paper mill it's all schoolies and they seem to get smaller and smaller all the way to Allington. Although you fish high in the water, for some reason I don't understand, the fish seem to prefer the outside of bends in the river where the water is deeper. But still fish the top! Above Snodland the river dries out on some tides. I would imagine the pools left would be interesting to fish.

From Cuxton to the paper mill at Snodland the river holds gazillions of bass. Mostly schoolies. However, up to 8lbers have been taken up there using livebaits. There's no point in trying anything but livebaits or big lures in the top 2 ft of water. You'll just get a schoolie a cast or a big bait ripped to shreds. If you fish a live bait, fish it 18 inches beneath a big float. Above the paper mill it's all schoolies and they seem to get smaller and smaller all the way to Allington. Although you fish high in the water, for some reason I don't understand, the fish seem to prefer the outside of bends in the river where the water is deeper. But still fish the top! Above Snodland the river dries out on some tides. I would imagine the pools left would be interesting to fish.

so would you suggest catching little roach/chub from the same stretch and then live baiting with them and not using sea tackle gear as it were with lug/a whole squid/mackeral as it dont work well?

also you would seem to favour lures? do you think its work fishing there and would you say fish from 2 hours before high tide, 2 hours after?

cheers for the info.

Interesting that you say fish the top Stoaty.

There is a 'slug' of freshwater that travels up and down the river with the tide, carrying its flotsam and jetsam of logs and trees and all kinds off rubbish, up and down the river.

Fed by the water that comes from under the sluice at Allington, this freshwater gradually flows towards the sea, but not at anything like the rate that the rushing outgoing tide would suggest.

This freshwater slug contains a good head of coarse fish, some of impressive size, especially pike and carp.

And when conditions are right, a spring tide that retreats below datum, and a large flow of rainwater down the river, the coarse fish can be found down as far as Rochester at least.

(One of my mulleting friends had two 8oz roach when fishing for mullet at the Civic Centre at Rochester, amongst the crabs and bladdrwrack)

A number of people fish for coarse fish, certainly down as far as Johnson's lakes at Aylseford.

The thing is that seawater is denser than freshwater, so when the tide pushes saltwater up the river, it slips beneath the freshwater layer, so as the depth increases, you need to fish near the top for coarse fish and risk catching flounder or thinlips if you go deeper.

The river is heavily coloured along the tidal section, as the tide scours the soft brown mud, going back and forth.

When deadbaiting for pike at Aylsford, I found that it's only the top of the water that produces.

Because the water is so muddy and turbulent, and contains so much debris, it seems to spoil the pike's ability to locate a deadbait, though it knows that there is something nearby because of the scattered scent trail.

As a result, I've had pike surface near to where I've been fishing, and I've surmised that they have come to the top looking for a floating dead fish, which is where most dead fish are to be found I guess, when the scent trail is unclear because of the turbidity of the water.

(Bass move a surprising distance upriver and I've also heard in other rivers of people livebaiting for pike being surprised by catching large bass instead - so I wouldn't be surprised to find a region on the Medway - moving back and forth with the tide- where it is possible to take both species on the same methods, from the same spot, on the same day)

The bit that interests me is about taking bass near the top, whereas it's usually the freshwater (and species) near the top and salt towards the bottom.

The further downriver you go, the less freshwater, and I guess the more mixing occurs, the higher up the river and the more I would expect the salt water fish to be found down deeper.

Or is it a case that the bass hunt in the top layer, despite it's lack of salinity, for the same reason as the pike?

I must say that I don't fish the saltwater section much, far too muddy for comfortable wading and the mud gets over everything, the boiling water is difficult to fish, and then there are those hidden sunken tree trunks rolling up and down the river for years, waiting the opportunity to snag tackle and carry it speedily away.

But everyone should try it and crack it, just for the experience gained.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Interesting that you say fish the top Stoaty.

There is a 'slug' of freshwater that travels up and down the river with the tide, carrying its flotsam and jetsam of logs and trees and all kinds off rubbish, up and down the river.

Fed by the water that comes from under the sluice at Allington, this freshwater gradually flows towards the sea, but not at anything like the rate that the rushing outgoing tide would suggest.

This freshwater slug contains a good head of coarse fish, some of impressive size, especially pike and carp.

And when conditions are right, a spring tide that retreats below datum, and a large flow of rainwater down the river, the coarse fish can be found down as far as Rochester at least.

(One of my mulleting friends had two 8oz roach when fishing for mullet at the Civic Centre at Rochester, amongst the crabs and bladdrwrack)

A number of people fish for coarse fish, certainly down as far as Johnson's lakes at Aylseford.

The thing is that seawater is denser than freshwater, so when the tide pushes saltwater up the river, it slips beneath the freshwater layer, so as the depth increases, you need to fish near the top for coarse fish and risk catching flounder or thinlips if you go deeper.

The river is heavily coloured along the tidal section, as the tide scours the soft brown mud, going back and forth.

When deadbaiting for pike at Aylsford, I found that it's only the top of the water that produces.

Because the water is so muddy and turbulent, and contains so much debris, it seems to spoil the pike's ability to locate a deadbait, though it knows that there is something nearby because of the scattered scent trail.

As a result, I've had pike surface near to where I've been fishing, and I've surmised that they have come to the top looking for a floating dead fish, which is where most dead fish are to be found I guess, when the scent trail is unclear because of the turbidity of the water.

(Bass move a surprising distance upriver and I've also heard in other rivers of people livebaiting for pike being surprised by catching large bass instead - so I wouldn't be surprised to find a region on the Medway - moving back and forth with the tide- where it is possible to take both species on the same methods, from the same spot, on the same day)

The bit that interests me is about taking bass near the top, whereas it's usually the freshwater (and species) near the top and salt towards the bottom.

The further downriver you go, the less freshwater, and I guess the more mixing occurs, the higher up the river and the more I would expect the salt water fish to be found down deeper.

Or is it a case that the bass hunt in the top layer, despite it's lack of salinity, for the same reason as the pike?

I must say that I don't fish the saltwater section much, far too muddy for comfortable wading and the mud gets over everything, the boiling water is difficult to fish, and then there are those hidden sunken tree trunks rolling up and down the river for years, waiting the opportunity to snag tackle and carry it speedily away.

But everyone should try it and crack it, just for the experience gained.

is it still worth fishing for bass on the bottom though? or floating 6ft down or something.

My theory has been that, as you say the river is pretty murky and the bass can see the outlines of live baits above them. I think they ambush them from deep below.

I have never caught a bass on a lure upriver. However I have a friend that catches plenty using this meathod. He used the old fashioned wooden plugs that he makes himself. He winds them in so they dive, pauses till they surface and winds again. He tends to get the take as the lure is rising and the line is slack so you have to be quick to tighten the line when they hit. He uses a long (12ft) rod with the tip close to the water and lifting it (not striking it) above his head tightens the line and hooks the fish.

so would you suggest catching little roach/chub from the same stretch and then live baiting with them and not using sea tackle gear as it were with lug/a whole squid/mackeral as it dont work well?

also you would seem to favour lures? do you think its work fishing there and would you say fish from 2 hours before high tide, 2 hours after?

I use anything for livebait but think big. A big bass which is what your after, will take a 1lb roach no trouble.

Lug squid etc is a waste of time. fished on the bottom it produces eels and schoolies.

I only go up river when the weather is bad in the summer. So I mostly fish from say half up to half down. I have never fished it low. The tide dosent seem to matter much.

Interesting Leon you mention the crap floating on the water. The boundary line between the crap and the calm water is where I aim to fish.

Edited by Stoaty

My theory has been that, as you say the river is pretty murky and the bass can see the outlines of live baits above them. I think they ambush them from deep below.

I have never caught a bass on a lure upriver. However I have a friend that catches plenty using this meathod. He used the old fashioned wooden plugs that he makes himself. He winds them in so they dive, pauses till they surface and winds again. He tends to get the take as the lure is rising and the line is slack so you have to be quick to tighten the line when they hit. He uses a long (12ft) rod with the tip close to the water and lifting it (not striking it) above his head tightens the line and hooks the fish.

I use anything for livebait but think big. A big bass which is what your after, will take a 1lb roach no trouble.

Lug squid etc is a waste of time. fished on the bottom it produces eels and schoolies.

I only go up river when the weather is bad in the summer. So I mostly fish from say half up to half down. I have never fished it low. The tide dosent seem to matter much.

Interesting Leon you mention the crap floating on the water. The boundary line between the crap and the calm water is where I aim to fish.

would it be worth fishing on the bottom for a schoollie, and then livebaiting with that?