Fishing in the rain

Thanks to all for there advice i'vre also been given this link which i have not tested over a period of time but looks intresting

Just put in your postcode then select hobbies from the top of the screen then select fishing and it gives you a catchabilty reading on some algarithum or something looks good but don't know if it works

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/HOBBIES/fishing.asp

Richard

Metcheck is my favourite weather site. The fishing page does give the barometric pressure so is useful for that, but I totally disregard the "catchcast".

This is because different species react in different ways to different weather conditions. For instance you can see from my previous post that perch and pike are good examples. Again, at this time of year hot sunny weather is excellent for gravel pit tench but wouldn't be for roach.

But as I said, Metcheck is an excellent site, and for my area at least is pretty accurate. As a matter of interest Metcheck's long term forecast predicted a hot July and a cool August.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

one of my mates landed a 21 pound commen this morning at 8 o clock in the midst of a heavy downpour he got soaked :lol: but still landed his fish , southmere lake in thamesmeade kent :rolleyes:

What are your views on fishing a river when the water is a little higher, faster and brown with mud due to the rain?

i want to play out tomorrow, but with it being a Sunday, the buses aren't to good to get to the usual haunts.

i'm thinking of fishing the Irwell for trout.

what bait apart from worms would be good for them ?

Thanks

:)

IPB Image

We are all Mother Nature's sons. So what I have noticed from my own fishing experience is that the effect of air pressure, Moon phase, light conditions, negative or positive, is the same on me and on fish.

On my way to the fishing site I just check my mood, and if the head is bright and the world is fine- fishing is very likely to be successful. Wish it always was like that on the days off :)

i've often thought about buying one of these weather stations

20ba6bfd23ae506b9511bc52277a8390.jpg

but i'm not really one for gadgets and the closest i get is some manky seaweed and fir cones

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Me too,and when its lashing down it`s much more peacefull on one of my local waters in particular,where the dog walkers,kids,strollers etc all stop home.A big advantage.

DS

here here, especialy when u got a large umbrella and still catching fish, the sound of the rian hitting the umbrella chills me out to the max. my best ever pike of around 12lb was caught in these such conditions.. that day also produced 3 jax. thats 3 times my daily average for pike fishing.

pike fishing in rain has always been very productive for myself, not sure on others

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Rain has varying effects on different species and it also affects their behaviour.

Here's something I wrote about Pike and the effects of rain on their behaviour.

"I've caught plenty of Pike while it's hammering but on the whole, I've noticed one thing that stands out.

It can be absolutely hammering almost all day long but if there's so much as a 2-3 minute break in the rain, that's when you'll get a run and I've seen this happen so many times, it can't possibly be coincidence.

I have a theory...

Most people would agree that Pike seem to like a ripple on the water for one reason or another...yes?

It's my view that Pike prefer to come out when the daylight is strobing/dappling, as it diffuses through the surface ripple. I actually reckon that's why some Pike are spotted all over.

Anyhoo, I believe Pike use the surface commotion to their advantage and may well be actively hunting when it's raining also BUT I think the noise rain creates, upsets their lateral line and inner ear's efficiency and they might have to rely on sight and smell alone.

When the rain stops briefly, I think they have a window of opportunity to utilise ALL of their senses"

That's Pike of course but this could change how other species behave. Many species very often come out and start feeding voraciously when it starts raining. Fish, which may normally keep a low profile, when there are Pike around, may take full advantage of the Pike's off period and feed in a frenzied manner, in reasonable safety.

Rain also brings food, especially if there's a large hatch of flies over the water. As the flies become waterlogged, they often end up stuck on the surface, unable to take flight again, until they've had a chance to dry off. Surface feeders are the most likely candidates to come 'alive' when this occurs. Sometimes, it only takes a short burst of rainfall to initiate a sudden increase in activity. Trout, Rudd, Carp and Roach are often seen cruising about the surface layers, mouths wide open, scooping up all manner of bugs and winged beasties. You'll often hear anglers talking of the water 'boiling with activity'. Most of the time, this phenomenon occurs as a direct result of a rain shower. Other species, which are generally found closer to the bottom, may also take advantage of this sudden free bounty.

River fish also tend to come alive when the rain comes on, especially if there's been a dry period before hand. Anything that lives up overhanging trees and bushes, may find itself in the water and the fish are well aware of this. A swim, which may appear to be devoid of fish, may suddenly turn into something resembling a fish-farm. I'm far more likely to stick things out on the river if the rain comes on, as opposed to when I'm livebaiting a stillwater for Pike.

You also have to bear in mind that rain brings oxygen. Fish will very often lie low, in a bid to conserve energy, especially when it's hot. A sudden boost of oxygen can turn a positively lethargic fish, onto actively hunting, in a matter of minutes.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...