censorship

uncle nester

just going slightly off track from the topic, im new to this forum, and someone earlier mentioned the big brother thing. i have been on other forums as we probably all have. but every post comes up it will be checked by a moderator. while i agree with censorship to a degree. the delay in post going onto the board seems to take quite a while. i may come home from work around 7, going fishing in the morning, would like some advice, but by the time the post goes on the board i have often gone to bed, is this because im new to forum or does this happen to every one. many thanks

Mods have a life, too. Family, jobs, holidays, etc. Most days it doesn't take that long for the first 15 posts to be approved - some days it does. I'm married to a mod and can't begin to tell you how many times I have heard "well, I'll just jump on the forum for a few minutes to check for new posts to be approved".

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When all is said and done, this is my forum and a few selected friends help me to moderate it. I choose to run it how I want and they help me achieve that.

We've been going since 1999, while many websites (some with financial backers, some with the "we're all for free speech" attitude) have come and gone. Some of my mates also run equally busy websites, some busier. They do their's their way, I do mine mine.

There are thousands of forums out there. If anyone feels oppressed, censored or adversely affected by this one in any other way, try www.google.com

I spend a lot of time catering to the regulars on here and do so of my own free will. I've met many of them and they're a great bunch. That said, the days when I lose sleep over somebody not liking this site are well and truly buried in the past.

Funny thing is, every single post to the BBC websites is moderated - I've never seen anyone complain about that :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

When all is said and done, this is my forum and a few selected friends help me to moderate it. I choose to run it how I want and they help me achieve that.

We've been going since 1999, while many websites (some with financial backers, some with the "we're all for free speech" attitude) have come and gone. Some of my mates also run equally busy websites, some busier. They do their's their way, I do mine mine.

There are thousands of forums out there. If anyone feels oppressed, censored or adversely affected by this one in any other way, try www.google.com

I spend a lot of time catering to the regulars on here and do so of my own free will. I've met many of them and they're a great bunch. That said, the days when I lose sleep over somebody not liking this site are well and truly buried in the past.

Funny thing is, every single post to the BBC websites is moderated - I've never seen anyone complain about that :D

:clap3::clap3::clap3::clap3:

It is essential that there is some form of moderation when something is racist, sexist, slanderous, ageist or darn right personal. I just think, I never that crossed the line, but I,m not a moderator. If someone has a pop at my friends I,ll try and stick up for them, thats fair enough. If you think I,m being a pain thats fair enough also and its healthy to push the status quo / system. What would be the point of a "discussion" board you may as well call it only an "agreement" board.

If I can reply to Eltons post, an infantile response, I thought. We should all be entitled to our opinion.

And guess what, I wont lose any sleep, either.

Sweet dreams

coco

I agree totally with the removal of OFFENDING posts! However in reading the post here I get the impression that ONE person (who was sticking up for a mate!!) complained to a Mod who removed the post.

Surely one of the Mods would put me right on this, but I would have thought that the Mods would have to have a number of complaints from across the spectrum or you would end up with people having threads removed that THEY PERSONALLY don't want on there!

Edited by kleinboet

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

I agree totally with the removal of OFFENDING posts! However in reading the post here I get the impression that ONE person (who was sticking up for a mate!!) complained to a Mod who removed the post.
The report simply alerts all of us by email that at post/thread needs looking at. Any action will be based on what we see rather than the number of folks who report the post.

In this particular case (as is true with most) I have no idea if the person who reported the thread was a friend of the attack victim or not, nor do I care.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I reported the post because it was totally off topic and also looked like a personal attack to me. I think three others had psoted along the same lines before I reported it.

My attitude would have been different if the thread had been in the general forum, but it was on a specific subject which had been pinned as is it of some importance to anglers. To see the thread go off topic and be cluttered by non related posts is not helpfull to anyone trying to get a message across to the board readers.

I am all for freedom of speech and all that, and if the posts had been in a normal forum I would have been more than happy to sit back and watch the battle as I know the person concerned is more than capable of holding their end in a discussion. My last post on the thread was also removed to clean it up and keep it on topic.

dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org