Sport 3

Guest Jaybee

Guest Jaybee

Final one and I think it can be classed as a sport - there are certainly plenty of participants.

This ISN'T showjumping by any stretch of the imagination.

Measuring around 2-3 feet long and capable of speeds up to 80mph petrol driven radio contolled cars have a big, big following. If you fancy testing your technique to the limit then you really want to find your nearest club.

Whilst the cars are racing then you have two basic options - bottle it and photograph the cars as they approach/go round a corner - they will pretty much slow down to a stop (relatively) BUT throw huge amounts of grass/dirt/mud/dust out behind them - shooting head onto the corner or at a slight angle to the corner is going to give you the very best vantage point.

If you have nerves of steel then you take the bull by the horns and pan the cars down a straight - AT 1/15th, 1/30th or maximum 1/60th shutter speed. It may sound hard but it isnt really - it takes a little practice but isn't beyond anyone and simply requires a little bit of technique.

The secret is to pick the car up early and well before the point you will depress the shutter.

Its all in the hips.

Lets assume the cars are coming from yor right and you want to photograph the car dead ahead of you - thats where you face - dead ahead - feet slightly apart, elbows tucked absolutely rigged into your body, good tight grip on the camera. Keep your feet still, arms rigid and swivel to the right from the hips - pick up the focus on the car and let the autofocus do the work as you revolve back towards dead ahead. Keep the car in the viewfinder and in focus. When the car is dead ahead of you release the shutter. Now the important part of panning and the very reason it works. DON'T STOP SWIVELLING AND FOLLOWING THE CAR AFTER YOU RELEASE THE SHUTTER. Its the same as a golf swing and the subsequent follow through. If you press the shutter and immediately stop following the car the effect is lost and chances are the car is just a blur.

Pick up the car in the viewfinder early, swivel, swivel, swivel, press the shutter, keep swivelling, swivelling, stop. In essence you are pressing the shutter at the start and during the follow through.

AN alternative to using the autofocus is to pre focus on a spot you know tha car will cross - this is how I did it in the days I covered world championship moto-x for Trials and Moto-X news. The technique is itentical except you have already focussed on a spot ahead of you - you pick up and follow the moving object as before - you simply dont worry too much about the focus - when the object reaches the spot you have already focussed on release the shutter and follow through.

It sounds complicated but only in the description of how to do it - the reality is its pretty simple and once you master it then its a piece of cake.

Doesnt have to be model cars though - bike racing, athletes, horse racing, go carts etc etc etc - anything that moves at speed is fair game.

I'm a bit too old and shaky to pan at the low speeds I used and get consistent results but I still enjoy going along to local club meetings now and again on a Sunday and trying my hand.

sport10.jpg

sport11.jpg

sport12.jpg

sport13.jpg

sport14.jpg

sport15.jpg

sport16.jpg

Guest Jaybee
Sweet...blow the camera...I want one of them...:D Great action shots Jaybee

Steve...:)

Got a grand spare for a good one (and all the alloy add ons :) )

Or go for an F1 for a couple of grand (Tomorrow I'll dig out the shot of the McClaren I took)