Best Roach river

The Flying Tench

The Tiny river culm in Devon hold some superb specimens, I have had them to 2lb.11oz here are a couple of examples they are mint too Posted Image

Posted Image

Regards Tony.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Budgie :) you would not belive the size of this little river, it's called a river but in fact it is more like a stream, in the deeper runs lie the big roach along with big perch too. :)

Regards Tony.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."

Wow Tony! I've just started to fish the Culm. I didn't know it held such fantastic fish . I've only been 3 times. Twice above the weir at the Silverton paper mill (under the trees) and once downstream from Ellerhayes bridge.

First time I went I had a great day under the trees and caught about 20 odd roach and dace with a stick float. Nothing big but it was great fun as it was my first time on a river. I fished the same area 2 weeks later and blanked! :D I moved around a bit but just couldn't find the fish.

Third time I tried downsteam from Ellerhayes but blanked again. I tried rolling bait along the bottom and with the stick but with no joy.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated :D

The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Quvertip with breadflake at Stoke Canon, feed loose bread mash little but often, also use same method on the killerton stretch, there are some whackers in the culm you just need to stick at it and you will get amongst them. The stretch you mention above the weir holds some big roach but they seem to be not so numerous as Stoke Canon.

[ 24. February 2005, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: Tony Coley ]

Regards Tony.

PeterK:

I have seen more big roach at Barton Court, in Kintbury, than anywhere else.

I agree there are big roach at BC. I've fished for them a couple of times unsuccessfully. One particular shoal under a bridge is said to be very wised up, they've had a lot of angling pressure. Someone assured me 'It was easy here, mate, a few years ago!' Interestingly I asked if you could fish at night there, and the owner said he'd never been asked before, but was open to the idea - I've yet to try it.

The kind of Kennet roach fishing I was thinking of is mentioned in graham Elliott's article 'Memories and Milestones' (on AN) when he had three trips one autumn with 50lb each time averaging over 1lb! I think there are people on AN who used to fish the Kennet in those days. Was it really that good?

john clarke

The Barton Court roach only get fished for out of trout season so not really heavy pressure on them.

I had a booking every year for the first day after the end of the trout season. I used to book the whole fishery for just me and a mate. In the end we moved on but I still fish there on a day ticket when I can.

those fish under that bridge at Barton court were 'huge' if I remember right....

everyone on last years fish in will vouch for that...wouldn't eat anything with a hook in it though...the crafty buggers :)

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

Tony Coley:

The Tiny river culm in Devon hold some superb specimens, I have had them to 2lb.11oz

Is it day ticket on the Culm, or predominantly club water do you know Tony?

Lovely red eyed beauties

Bish,the best bits of the Culm are controlled by Exeter and District Angling, but there are some free stretches up stream in Cullompton which are free but tend to get hammered. The stretches I mainly fish are controlled by the above club and are largely neglected by others, I go for weeks sometimes months without seeing another angler. Stoke Canon and killerton Above Columbjohn are my favourite areas but be prepared to do some leg work as some of the better swims are at the extreme end of the fishery at Stoke Canon and in the middle section of killerton. Travel light with a quiver tip rod, fish tight to the trees in the slack water thats the areas which produce the best fish, but remember big Roach don't give themselves up that easy but stick with it and you will get a result.

You can obtain a ticket to fish for a day, week or year from Exeter Angling the year ticket is the best value if you want to fish it regular, it works out less than £25 which is a bargain for fish of this quality

[ 25. February 2005, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: Tony Coley ]

Regards Tony.