Best Roach river

The Flying Tench

Hi ALL, my greatest ever days fishing was on the Wensum at lenwade 2 years ago now, John had told me about a shoal of big Roach that were moving up River. I decided to have a quick go for them in a morning session, i fished a bog standard stick float presentation in a deep run less than a rod length out, feeding caster and hemp. Well to cut a long story short i had 15 Roach over a 1lb, 6 over 2lb biggest being 2lb 12oz! Then John fished a little further up the next day after i told him about it and did exactly the same! I believe he covred it in the Times. So big Roach are still their if you find them, however they are very nomadic. Never did that good after that a few over a 1lb but no real biggies.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Flying Tench,

I have seen more big roach at Barton Court, in Kintbury, than anywhere else. I have only been fishing there around 11-12 years and I do agree that the shoals seem smaller now but the good fish are still there. I have seen plenty of fish of 2lb. Its possible that I just rate it because I can see the fish so easily?

I recon some of the best river roach fishing might be found on the Test or the Itchen but as ever access is not easy.

Stewart_Bloor:

I fished a new stretch of the Severn today for roach but blanked. Although in all fairness it was a hard day to judge.

Having fished the Severn for Roach for many years, it has to rank as being one of the best rivers for them,imo. Quality & Quantity. I've taken many fish over the 2lb mark during winter sessions. Yet to land a fish pushing 3lb, but then i've lost a few at the net that rolled on me which would have come close.

The bigger rivers like the Severn flood terribly these days, & at times of the year when fish are spawning - this can't be helping with the silver fish populations.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Stewart_Bloor:

I fished a new stretch of the Severn today for roach but blanked. Although in all fairness it was a hard day to judge. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the weather was anything like we have up here Stuart, you deserve a Knighthood, never mind the proverbial medal.

The Tweed used to provide some massive roach but sadly we never used to weigh them in those days. In fact, the big fish were always returned; we only ever retained those we were to ‘liberate’

A recent match on the Wear produced an all roach catch of 23lb, 4 of which weighed just over 10lb,the best being 2lb-12oz.

[ 24. February 2005, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: wearyone ]

Tight Lines,

Wearyone

Dear All,

Keep a close eye on the Trent for a modern day roach revival. There are now huge bags of pound and a half roach being taken if you know where to fish!! Fantastic roach fishing all practiced under a trotted float in time honoured Trent style.

If there was ever a fish to lure me away from barbel fishing this is it. In fact, I'm seriously considering a campaign aimed at trying to catch some monster Trent roach that I'm pretty certain are swimming about now a days.

Roach fishing also remains unaffected by the "cult" status barbel fishing has got itself infected with so it’s all the more appealing.

Best of all though, is the fact that few if any are targeting these Trent red finned giants. Lovely jubbly.

Regards,

Lee.

Bigrivers:

Jim Doyles mention of the roach of of the River Tay took me back to my times there. I've just posted some memories of our sessions there on my Lost River weblog (mentioned elsewhere on Anglers net) - if you're interested please take a read at http://lostriver.blogspot.com/ It was a strange time in my life, where I was kep afloat by a fantastic river.

Bigrivers - I did read over that piece and then another and another of the blog pieces you have posted. And the darned if I didn't read a couple more.

Good stuff. Exotic places to my American eyes and all the more fun for that.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

"There used to be some huge roach in the Tweed, from Coldstream down, best baits were sweetcorn or cheese, are they still there?"

Sorry just noted wearyones post perhaps he could advise on the lost Roach

[ 24. February 2005, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Tony U ]

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Cheers Newt - I've had some good feedback on the Lost River blog http://lostriver.blogspot.com/ - glad it appeals to you folk over the pond too!

It's funny how whats familiar to you is exotic to somebody else (and vice versa) isn't it?

I'm looking forward to when I can post some more pieces on actually catching some fish again but its snowing again and you should know that here in the UK it only takes an inch or two of the white stuff to bring everything to its knees - including the barbel!