Help fishing the top with basic float controller rig.

flank0

Hi,

I use a special surface fishing for carp normally with float ledger style but on some pools & pegs its important to get out further & less clumsy than my style so i decided to try a basic float controller with 2 feet hook length from float a size 8 hook & some bread.

Iv been watching the fish swim up to my bait & look at it & they swim off 70% of the time,& sometimes they grab it and drop it again. could somone explain why they would do this i know its probably 1 of the following but prefere pro advice...

i think its this : line drooping down from bait or my hook is showing.

my line allways sinks from the controller to my hook would this be the case? & What can i do....i heard somone mention greasing the line, & what should i grease it with...

or is it something else?

I would advise a long hooklength from controller to hook - 6ft or so. You also do need to make sure the line floats. You can get fly fishing line grease or line floatant, but any grease or light oil will work. I would suggest if you can't get any thing from a fishing shop then try vegetable oil.

You will also find fish often nose baits and test them - which is exactly what happens bottom fishing. The difference with surface fishing is you can see exactly what the fish are doing and that's very frustating.

Rob.

Also frustrating is when the fish go for the controller instead of the bait - this seems to happen regularly at one of my local waters!

Even more frustrating is when the fish start taking the freebies, just as the ducks and swans move in :wallbash:

Rob.

I'd recommend that you don't grease the last few inches from the hook as this can spook the fish, as many fly fisherman will confirm. Alternatively you could try a fluorocarbon hooklength or, better still, multistrand.

I also find it pays to get the fish feeding well before even casting out a bait. If you can get them competing with each other greed is more likely to take over from wariness.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I also find it pays to get the fish feeding well before even casting out a bait. If you can get them competing with each other greed is more likely to take over from wariness.

That's very good advice. I'd also add that patience can pay off. I've lost count of the number of times all the freebies have long since been taken, and I'm just about to wind in for another cast, when suddenly, a fish decides it's going to have the last bit of grub (often when a duck is making a bee-line for it). :)

thx guys...excellent advice....i also fancyed trying popup boilys for the surface combined with a hair rig is this advisable & how could i make my own with just basic house hold ingredients? & what ingredient should i use & what procedure would i take. thankew :P the bread is annoying on the controller setup they keep biting the bait off & leaving the hook .. :lol::lol:

Edited by flank0

I've never found pop-ups any good for surface fishing - don't know why. You need to grill / fry ordinary (unboiled) boilies or microwave them (I've never had good results with either method). Or add an ingredient that makes them float. A high amount of shrimp meal will do that - or buy one of the pop up mixes that tackle shops sell. Alternatively insert a cork or poly ball into the boile paste before rolling around it. You obviously can't make freebies though, just hook baits.

Rob.