Pike Help Please

PikeHelpPlease

Hi and welcome to AN. Sorry I can't help but I live too far away. Hopefully someone will respond who knows UK pike angling.

It would probably help if you said a bit about yourself since I think most of our members will be reluctant to offer advice unless they have a bit of a feel for who they are advising.

Note that until you pass 15 posts, anything you post will not display until a mod had approved it which can take from minutes to a few hours depending on who is here and looking around. Likewise your PM feature will not work until then so you can't send or receive.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hello, i am trying to find somewhere to go pike fishing for the day could anyone recomende any where in my area please, i live in hertford. :D

I believe there is some good pike fishing on the lea navigation between Hertford and Stansted Abbots.

Sorry I can't be any more help but I don't fish for pike myself but see plenty of people fishing for them along the lea.

Andy

Hello, i am trying to find somewhere to go pike fishing for the day could anyone recomende any where in my area please, i live in hertford. :D

Are you mobile?

There were some cracking waters around Hertford for pike fishing. Recent years they have taken a bit of a battering from whatever source, poaching being amoung these. The lea has some good stretches as does the stort at Hoddesdon prior to fields weir, sadly the weir has been poached to death and no longer holds the sort of fish and the numbers that it used to!

Get your walking boots on and try the lea, its certainly not the most peaceful of rivers and you will be plauged by crays but you should get some results if you pesevere!

• 4 weeks later...

I used to fish Aldenham Country Park, not sure whether you can still fish it as the baliff used to tell me that the council were going to stop the fishing due to the boating club and walkers etc. Too dangerous !

I took photo's for a guy who had a 26 1/2 lb pike , absolute monster of a fish.

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

hi ya

i would help you out but i'm fully booked at the moment :) join the PAC,get a good idea of how to fish for pike and handle them safley (if you already dont, even still join up!)

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

I used to fish Aldenham Country Park, not sure whether you can still fish it as the baliff used to tell me that the council were going to stop the fishing due to the boating club and walkers etc. Too dangerous !

I took photo's for a guy who had a 26 1/2 lb pike , absolute monster of a fish.

Hi i fished aldernham this summer, you can still fish on a day ticket, £4.00 a day, great perch and roach fishing on the wagler off the dam wall.

The baliff is a bit funny, but when you get to know him his is a nice guy with some good advice, i know he is going to spend this winter pike fishing day and night.

i offered him some sea baits to get him going.

he will allow night fishing by permission only, so what i would do is go along, fish a couple of times on the damn wall, and then chat to him..

i get the impression from him, that many people come for a day and never go back, alot of this is due to fishing wrong methods, or expecting to much.

i remeber the day, when i got there, had to fish the damn wall. he was on peg next to me, ledgereing, he told me to save my £4.00 as it did not matter how good a fisherman you are, you wont catch when they go off.

i had 40 fish that session, only small roach and perch, was great sport and good days fishing.

they had crayfish problem a while back, but that has been sorted out now. well they just vansished.

anyway, get down, offer him his peg money, and you will be ok from what i have seen of him.

best time to catch him, is early morning or evenings.

just another point, they have about 6 pegs in woodland, the rest is the damn wall, in front of the woodland 2 pegs is a nice island, and plenty of space to get a bivvy up or for 2 people to fish couple of rods each,

let me know how you get on.

regards

smac

Edited by s_mac

woman want me, fish fear me

Glad to hear you can still fish there, its a great place for spinning from the wooden platforms on the dam wall, the baliff was a bit funny as you say once you get to know him he's ok. There used to be a fishermans car park , you need to get the code from the baliff. The water around the island was quite shallow.

£4 per day , thats pretty good considering the size of the pike that are in there. I am sure it was that 4 years ago when I fished there. His number used to be on a notice board near the baliff's hut.

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.