I guess someone has to say it

Guest Jaybee

Guest franticfisherman2

the 2 blokes asleep may not be winners but I'll bet they made a few people smile :) If the judge chooses one of them for the final 3, what's wrong with that? The judge chooses what he/she likes the best and should not be open to criticism.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jaybee
the 2 blokes asleep may not be winners but I'll bet they made a few people smile :) If the judge chooses one of them for the final 3, what's wrong with that? The judge chooses what he/she likes the best and should not be open to criticism.

Frantic I have no doubt that the images brought a smile to peoples faces - they did to mine - they are great shots but the competition is titled Sport for heavens sake.

It they were open competitions where people could enter any image then no problem but if the competition has a themed title then let's at least enter images that are appropriate.

Nature reserves are also a great place to find not only wildlife and waterfowl but flowers and plants you wouldn’t normally find in your garden or window box (if you are lucky enough to have either).It doesn’t matter if you live in a tower block, town house or own half of Cornwall, if you walk outside and LOOK for nature you will find it.

These are Julia's words from the challenge,perhaps we don't read them and really take them in,if i had have done then no way would i have posted my much maligned Clematis,which <_< makes it more surprising that it was picked as a finalist...it quite clearly should not have been ..fair enough no grumbles(much preferred the Blackberries anyway)

Sometimes a picture is posted for the challenge that hits you and you just know its going to win(Leap of Faith by Rich in the Now challenge led the way right to the end till Nally 4's was posted) The kingfisher picture was one of those for me..I have only ever seen a flash of blue ..just once!!!

I have to say it's sad we are having this debate and Julia is away but as Cliff says she is well able to get her point across.

Having judged two of the challenges ,I found it very difficult to pick winners ,as what should I look for ? I am no expert. Do you pick 3 pictures you genuinely like and think meet the the challenge that was set or pick ones that everyone will approve of!!!! I feel that a brief explanation might solve any problems.

It seems to have become the habit of everyone posting their 3 choices ,after thechallenge has closed,which i think is good as in away it could be seen as "quality control' what i cannot get my head around ,are the people who give chapter and verse as to why their choices were picked ,this can make the judges feel as if they have wasted their time!!!!!

I have a question regarding the Exif data ,perhaps if it were to be compulsory then everyone would be able to see when the entries were taken!!!!!

I also think that we have had fun with this challenge,yes some people have great expertise and some are novices and lots in between,but I for one have enjoyed trying to compete with the "big boys' and their top of the range gear :headhurt: but one thing stands out,everyone is so helpful and mostly no one is belittled,i feel as if i have learnt so much on this forum...did not realise we had been going for so long.please dont let this forum descend in to bickering and backbiting,the photography forum has done much to give back Anglers Net some of its lost fun and friendship,Steve and the contributors should be applauded

thats my opinion for what its worth....

Judith

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

Guest Jaybee

Nice reply Judy.

I'm sure when Finepix returns she will give reasons as to her final choices - why in fact the clematis was chosen for example - we'll read them and then understand - end of story.

Your comments regards competing with the big boys and their gear puzzles me a little though - if we look back to the texture competition in particular I can't see how anyone could have bettered those images regardless of experience, equipment etc - those finalists were incredibly good photos that anyone would have been proud to take - I dont mind admitting they were way out of my league.

To save this thread just going endlessly round in circles I would like to offer the following suggestions for the competitions - yes I know I am new here and probably havent earned the right yet to be so presumptious but I do take my photography seriously (passionately some would say) and I think the fact people join a photography forum means they do to.

The competitions should remain only for fun.

The judging and voting should remain the same except that judges should be expected to give their reasons for their selections - not as validation but so that people can understand and see why those choices were made.

Entries into the competition should at least go some way to fulfilling the title of the competition or be eliminated by default.

I dont think any of the above detracts from the competitions in any way.

Edited by Jaybee

This post will either be deleted, get me kicked off the forum or put me in front of a firing squad without a blindfold or last ciggy but having had a few emails and pms from people who feel the same way I do I'm prepared to put "pen to paper" and state that the judging of the nature competition was an absolute travesty.

The competitions should remain only for fun. The judging and voting should remain the same except that judges should be expected to give their reasons for their selections - not as validation but so that people can understand and see why those choices were made. Entries into the competition should at least go some way to fulfilling the title of the competition or be eliminated by default.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jaybee. Above are the first and last sentence you have written in this thread, you have gone from calling the judging of the nature competition a complete travesty, how utterly rude and demeaning, to saying that all you want is for an explaination as to why people chose their finalists and for entries to stick to the criteria.

Now if you had said that in the first place I can GUARANTEE that everyone would have agreed wholeheartedly.

The POINT is, this is NOT a Photography site, and this IS just for fun. Thats why HB and I joined, both who have won comps in the past but do not really expect to win in the future as the quality now has surpassed our own talents. Does that mean we should now quit, leave? Thats why we joined this site and not a Photography site so that we could learn and have fun as we go along. We all admire and look in awe at the huge bounds in quality as the comp has progressed but does that mean we should now weed out the 'people who just have cameras and like to take pictures'.

The whole issue of entries meeting the criteria was your original bug bear, and I agree that they should meet the criteria, WHICH IS BLOODY WELL SET BY THE JUDGE FOR THAT COMPETITION, SO DEPENDING ON HOW SERIOUS OR PASSIONATE THEY ARE, WILL DECIDE THAT CRITERIA. Giving the Judge the power to eliminate an entry that does not fit the criteria might hold some merit.

For example, if you were running the Sports Comp, you would no doubt have every right to say, no sleeping people blah blah blah. Do you think I am an idiot, do you think I expected my photo to win. No. And I only entered it because 'playing darts in the Pub' was listed IN THE CRITERIA which told me that the current JUDGE (the person who matters) has a relaxed view on the subject matter. I expect people to only look at my entry, smile and move on and if that spoils or demeans the entire competition I wholeheartedly disagree with you, as I will say once again, this is NOT a photography site!

People like you who take the competition more seriously have the final say and it is almost certain that even if an entry like mine or Frantics was lucky enough to get chosen for the final three, then it would be nipped in the bud before the Final Vote.

To have gone on about Judys Clematis was totally wrong, the Judge chose that photo, the same person who chose the criteria, thats all there is to it. Certainly an explaination would give some justification to those who feel jipped, but in all honesty, most of the time, an opportunity for the members of the site to voice who THEY would have picked and WHY would suffice. Sorry Judy but I don't think that would make the Judges feel like they have wasted their time. Their choices are the ones that really matter after all.

Personally, I think you should apologise to Julia for that first sentence alone. She is a quality photographer who has a good eye for photos, and even if she wasn't, has every right to pick HER own 3 choices. And Judy can hardly be blamed if her 'non criteria fitting' photo got chosen, the fact that it did, proves that it DID fit Julias criteria. It was her subject matter. (unless you are accusing her of favouritism or something else)

There is no doubt that several people were not happy with the final choices and we would all like to know Julias reasons, (as I said, nothing wrong with the choices, something wrong with the omissions). That would have been a respectfull and well thought out request which you now agree with after having time to calm down and see other peoples points of view. But if you had called MY Judging a complete travesty, then I would have quit this site in tears of disillusionment and I only hope that Julia has more balls than I do.

I won't say any more.

Edited by TubularBelle
I hate getting up early, I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!

Ferret, go back to the non-fishing forum you ferret.

I hate getting up early, I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!