I guess someone has to say it

Guest Jaybee

Guest Finepix

Ok, hands held high, I let a cultivated plant through. Sorry! Would like to know where the riot police were though. It was the first image posted after all so you all had plenty of time to add a polite post that it be removed ... just a thought.

As for the Kingfisher shot, sorry but it wasn't even in my top 4. Can't help that. We all have a different artistic eye, some people love Monet others Hirst and hooray for that. Life would be an incredibly boring place if we all liked the same thing.

As for the other favourite (which just happens to be another of Jaybee's shots ...) 'pink on white'. Sorry but just awful, noisy, far too many distractions (white blur behind butterfly, green stems on left of image), it looked over sharpened and the colours were ott - but of course this is just my (humble) opinion as we all have a completely different eye.

Loved Judy's clematis (oops cultivated, apologies to everyone for that, but like I've already said if your all so knowledgeable why was this not pulled before hand). I've seen them everywhere recently and just love the carefree wild look that it has and Judy's image captured that perfectly. In my (un-professional eye) it was more superior than the blackberries.

Peters shot, Congratulations and hope this hasn't p*ssed on your glory.

I've been after a flying bird shot for an age (and even after a gull infested cornwall have come home empty handed, but then I'm a mere novice) and this one just grabbed me immediately. Great stuff and well done again for winning.

And finally Rabsters shot, my personal favourite of the three and of course all entrants. Superb comp, dof, pov and what a marvellous bird! I loved it and actually put this forward to Steve before I went as my top image in case of a tie.

Well done to everyone who took part, of course there can only be one winner and by the looks of it one incredibly poor loser.

Thanks for your time - JULIA

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goodness me, is it not the person who picked the topic to be the judge?

Is is not to be there opion of whose top 3 they pick? Beauty in the eye of the beholeder and all that.

If you like a photo you like it, isn't that enough? If you choose the topic - surely you know what your looking for, and then its up to the rest to pick from them, not hold debates.

Can't we just get back to basics?

Isn't it supposed to be for fun?

Surprised at all this fuss

Cameraman

If all else fails, follow the intructions.

Since when did the photo comp become such a great thing to win that it leads to this? I believe one of the reasons to set up the photography forum was for beginners to learn and get advice from those better than us. The photo comp was a bit of fun and we were happy to see anyone win, atleast we gave it a go and have seen some fantastic shots.

The way I see it is Jaybee is jealous/annoyed he didn't get in the top 3 which I find very sad and pathetic to be honest. I really can't believe this thread was even started over Jaybee thinking he knows better than Julia.

:uhuh:

Dan

I think this whole thread has been taken out of all proportion. I'm not referring to anyones comments in particular, but I think ALL blame for it can be laid at my feet. The challenge "Template" that I set-up does not correctly describe how the challenge operates or what it evolved into through postings on here in various threads over the past ten months. Anyone reading the challenge document as it stands right now would not know we have been picking three finalists by the standard "What the judge likes" as the line in the challenge document just reads thus "The Judge will select the top three finalists' work to include in the Poll for all members to vote on"

This thread was started on the basis that the final three chosen by Finepix where not the "best" three that best fitted the criteria photographically ( in the eyes of the thread starter) and not what she thought where the best three. Between the two there is a huge gaping hole. And all that was wanted and asked for was a brief description of why the final three where chosen.

All long term forum users will know how quickly things on a forum can snowball out of control as my inbox here would show if you all had access to it, it continued away from here to, and even my email inbox and a phone call or two.

I was so busy attempting to limit damage and calm people down, responding to various points of contact that I lost sight of the overall situation, which I am still trying to rectify. Many people have been hurt by others comments, comments that would not have been made or even thought of if I had acted correctly at the right time in the right way. I would prefer it if all people who are angered or upset by any of this to direct that at me.

I can only apologise for that, but remind you that I am human and I have done and will make mistakes. I want to call a ceasefire now as I think all points and views have been discussed at length by now. I will over this next week rewrite the challenge template and post it here for all to comment on, add to etc etc. The challenge and this forum remains to be yours, so your all welcome to comment on its direction.

Peace

Steve...:)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Guest Ferret1959
The way I see it is Jaybee is jealous/annoyed he didn't get in the top 3 which I find very sad and pathetic to be honest. I really can't believe this thread was even started over Jaybee thinking he knows better than Julia.

:uhuh:

I thought the same but got all sorts of trouble for mentioning it.

I think Jaybee is a little bit above petty jealosy over a couple of pics, and nowhere did I get the impression that there was any jealosy involved...

Almost everyone who participated in this discussion tried very hard to stay polite and offer honest sincere comments, I risked upsetting Judy (and others) by adding a few hopefully sincere comments, and they were accepted as sincere.

Den

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I dont want to start the ball rolling on this thread again - everything has been said I guess.

Finepix has given her reasons and I accept them entirely - all I wanted at the end of the day was the reasons and we now have them.

There are two points though I wish to make - Jealousy and sore loser?? You really have to be joking.

Both comments are way off the mark but I suspect only said because I started the thread even though I did say that I would have picked Rabsters shot as the winner regardles of which other two shots were in the final.

I'm sure Finepix found no difficulty in giving the reaons she picked the three finalists so I fail to see why that cannot become a regular thing.

I dont want to start the ball rolling on this thread again - everything has been said I guess.

Excellent idea Jaybee.

Locked.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President