White marlin off Portugal

Snatcher

Four hours?!!!!! Rather you guys than me!!!! :yeah:

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we are finding much the same sport Bob, i have just got in, god its hot out there.

We had loads of Tuna and dorado.

We raised thirteen white marlin, and hooked three of them, but my party were not anglers so we didn't land any.

We also saw a Sailfish jump next to the boat, do you know if these are rare in the Algarve Bob? :)

Dave

Bob and Dave,got to treat myself to a fishing holiday down your neck of the woods some day :)

The fishing sounds mint :sun:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Another quick report, Stan will be able to write an epic when he gets back. White marlin crashing very big blue marlin lures and getting hooked up. several more tagged in the last 2 days. We're on a mission for another blue tomorrow, so an early start and off to the Picos, a sea mount about 52 miles offshore.

I still haven't had time to do the piccies yet, but will try and post some in the next couple of days. Unfortunately didn't get any pics of a monster hammerhead that we trolled past, but we'll try and catch one one day soon.

Hi Dave, as far as I know sailfish are almost unheard of here, I know of one caught in the offshore tuna traps. Sure it was a sailfish? the long billed spearfish can look a bit similar.

Hi Singy, looking forward to seeing you, I'm also hoping they all hang around for a bit longer yet, the water temp was 25degrees today, so it looks good for the moment.

Right - off to bed.......

It's amazing how quickly you can go off people..... :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Couldn't resist it, here's a shot of Stans 800lb ish blue marlin. Wish there was some perspective so you could see the awesome size. Breathtaking....

Amazing :) Has Stan tried the fly rod/poppers yet ???

Looking forward to the full report :sun:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Another quick report - too tired for anything else, some piccies will follow when we get around to procesing them.

Trolled for 2 days, 3 white marlin brought to the boat and tagged. Yesterday we had gone deep looking for blues with 80lb gear, caught a very optimistic white marlin of about 65lbs on 80lb tackle. So, we thought we'd change back to 30lb class for whites. Oooooops - yep you guessed, a body the size of a Renaul Clio crashed into one of the white marln lures.

It was Stans turn on the rod, it was about 15:30, and we got some good pics of the fish. Stans mate, who has caught a few blues, estimated the fish at 800lbs. Four hours later, yes four hours, we got the double line within a few feet of the boat, it was getting dusk and we were 25 miles offshore, so didn't have much choice and gave the fish everything (which isn't a lot on 30lb gear). Well something had to give and the line went snap, so we can't claim a capture, and we didn't get close enough to tag.

What an amazing week so far, Reefcat has definitely lost her virginity, loads of whites, and a seriously big blue marlin. I think Stan will have a few stories to tell when he gets back, still have two more days to go, so watch this space.

:clap2: Not quite the same but I've just had 4 days fishing Alderney, read all about it in the October issue. :clap2:

Stan has now left for cooler climes, and should be winging his way back to the far north as I write this.

I'm sure that he will write a full report on his return. We did try a very long ditance trip yesterday looking for another blue marln. We tagged and released a white that took a huge blue marlin lure, unfortunately we were running 80lb class, so it wasn't able to give of its best.

I haven't got a final tally, I think Stan has been keeping a diary so I hope he will write his epic trip report.

I have only been over here 3 years, and some of you will know of the trials and tribulations we have had with getting our new boat built. Well it seems to me that the Algarve is fishing it's socks off at the moment, crawling with whites and quite a number of blues. The tuna have now arrived, and if the water temps stay good, the fishing should stay like this for a few more weeks at least.

It has been an exhausting week, we have worked our nuts off, but what a result, some stunning fish, and we have proved that a catamaran can raise billfish in good numbers. I expect the billfish to last a few more weeks, then the tuna will hang around to november if we're lucky. Phew - then we have to try for the sixgill shark, grouper and the corvina....

Its a hard life :rolleyes: