Tour of Britain

poledark

Guest Jaybee
but it is very likely that when they reach the top, there will be a dash down the next couple of miles.

Den

Long lens - stood below the crown of the hill - nice compressed shot of a group coming over the crown - for one split second, a few inches before they reach the highest point and go over it they will appear almost motionless - get that and get a great shot.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jay, I seem to have jumped an answer or two, thanks for diagram :)

Long lens was one of my thoughts, 600mm is my longest (with converter) ,and using the zoom function I can zoom it back to about 350mm for a second shot(hopefully)Any further and I will get vignetting.

This could be nearly as exciting as when wife and I (her driving) chased a steam loco and carriages down the hills and valleys in western Scotland. I was videoing all the time, from a speeding car....got some terrific film :) When the driver of the train realised what we were doing he gave us all the right "toots and whistles and waves" Lovely fella :)

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Guest Jaybee
Jay, I seem to have jumped an answer or two, thanks for diagram :)

Long lens was one of my thoughts, 600mm is my longest (with converter) ,and using the zoom function I can zoom it back to about 350mm for a second shot(hopefully)Any further and I will get vignetting.

This could be nearly as exciting as when wife and I (her driving) chased a steam loco and carriages down the hills and valleys in western Scotland. I was videoing all the time, from a speeding car....got some terrific film :) When the driver of the train realised what we were doing he gave us all the right "toots and whistles and waves" Lovely fella :)

Den

A classic shot if your zoom is one with a sliding zoom sleeve rather than a revolving one (understand??) is to use a slow shutter speed with or without flash - on tripod is best and take shot zoomed to maximum - as you press the shutter pull back the zoom sleeve so zoom is minimum (you can do it other way round)

It's tricky simply because you have to be fast and camera has to be rock steady (unless you want to go arty farty with the shot :)

Blackpool hosted the start of the 2nd stage of this cycle race yesterday.

I was pinning all my hopes of getting a few shots for the Sports photo challenge on it - but it finished up that work took me out of town & I missed it, which leaves me struggling to get anything for the comp.

I can't give you any tips Den, but below is a link to the Tour of Britain websites' gallery, which may give you a few ideas. I have to say that the shots on there are fairly uninspiring & do little to give a sense of speed or the exertion the cyclists are putting into it - although the one with the girls on the podium is quite nice.

Tour of Britain

Rabs, you have rumbled me :):)

Drizzling here, so am off fishing...there's always tomorrow........

EDIT..

Just had a quick tryout on some cars :) :) tried your idea Jay..prefocuss across the road, hold shutter half way down, pick up rider, pan and shoot as the car passes. Got 3 front ends and the 4th was a full shot of a white van (what else :) ) Feeling a lot more confident now.

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

Guest Jaybee
Just had a quick tryout on some cars :) :) tried your idea Jay..prefocuss across the road, hold shutter half way down, pick up rider, pan and shoot as the car passes. Got 3 front ends and the 4th was a full shot of a white van (what else :) ) Feeling a lot more confident now.

Den

Dont forget that critical follow through. If you stop immediately you press the shutter then you will muck up the shot.

Dont forget that critical follow through. If you stop immediately you press the shutter then you will muck up the shot.

..which is exactly what I did the first couple of times I tried it, and could not work out why they where so blurred.

Steve...:)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

If all else fails, a stinger across the road usually does the trick :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Don't tempt me Elton :)

I think the road is a bit to narow for the prefocus idea Jay, can't really get back far enough to get sufficient width of pic. I will try from bed room window in the morning, should give me another 20 foot or so.

I really want to "stay at home", and get the pics "outside my house"

Time is pressing, they will be here in about 15 hours.........

Den