how far can you cast a pike fly?

fishfinder

Depending on style of fly 20-25m.I only use an AFTM8 normally (incidentaly Ive seen a US mate of mine regularly put out 8" deer hair headed flys suchs as Dhalburgs a full line on this size outfit) Sometimes though I use an old Masterline "Banker" line which is rated 8-10 (This if your not familiar with it is an over length shooting head)on a 8-10 rated Normark "Speed Tip" My standard lines are Bass/Bug tapers which are large headed weight forward lines designed to cast large bulky deer hair Bass flies.

Double hauling is essential though.Like Snatcher says it is also important to tie "light" flies not only is this down to using materials which give the impression of bulk withought creating weight but also dont retain water.

Rod wise I much prefer tip actioned rods.My more through actioned saltwater rod (9-10) might be able to land sailfish and marlin but it dont cast a pike fly! neither does my 12 Roland Martin.

I also agree with Ken about keeping the leader short.I use a short (9') braided Salmon leader with 3' of mono (I use 15lb clear Amnesia) with a 1' length of wire knotted on the end.I dont use a swivel or ring to conect mono to wire as I find this causes problems with turnover and tangles.

Also where you put your fly is far more important than distance alone but it is frustrating not being able to quite reach that striking fish or feature! I see loads who cant cast as far as I can catching plenty though!

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• 1 month later...

Try a heavier line- 9 or 10 weight and a stiffer action rod. I regularly get good distances but I have been dissappointed with the distances using 'hairy' flies. The waterlogged weight is a problem. I prefer flies with more artificial plastics in their dressing that don't become waterlogged. Never caught a pike bigger than four pounds on fly though.

They taste delicious in a pie after being simmered in milk and spring onions to remove the muddy taste, flaked, deboned and cooked in layers of broccoli and potato with a cheese topping. Use white roux sauce to provide the liquid. Lots of pepper and other suitable seasonings. :)

I caught mine in the Thames at Weybridge.

Edited by HE MAN

I've just been out with my pike flies on my local lake, and I'm disaapointed with the distances I'm achieving. I probably cast 20 yards at the most, usually around 15 yards max.

my set up is as follows: shimano biocraft XT saltwater 8 weight rod, biocraft xt reel, cortland 444SL ghost tip 8 wt line.

should the average person be able to do better with this setup, or am I expecting too much?

I would go for the wt fwd option and up a weight, as most factory built rods are rated at their average, usually one weight down from the proper one.

What distance can you acheive with normal flies and lures, as pike ones will be slightly less even when double hauling.

As a by the way, stan of Alba Rods rebuilt one of my centenary 4 pce rods and it was fantastic compared to the original; something to do with the blanks spine not having been all in line and the eye spacing.

I got a 6 ft. 3wt 2 pce built by him and can cast normal flies the same distance as my original centenary 7 wt with ease as an example.

Good Luck with the Pike anyway and tight lines

Singy, without seeing what is happening it is difficult to say but the Shimano rod is a mid to tip action (nice rod). To use that correct for heavy flies / lures you have to go up a weight on line and go for a weight forward. A mid to tip action rod is great for some applications but cannot handle heavy flies as well as the flies it was designed for.

Try one weight up on the line and leave a longer than normal loop on the backcast (obviously dictated by trees, bushes etc), only talking half a second.

Stan.

• 2 years later...

hi there firstly id just say although a saltwater fly rod will do the job for pike (its a different beast than a trout rod) at that weight the rod is designed for casting the likes of bone fish flies crab imitations and the like not the big flies we use for fly fishing for pike

what id suggest as i take it you don't want to buy another rod is to step up to a 9wgt line your rod will handle it no problem and remember a couple of very important things

you don't need massive flies to catch big pike my biggest fly caught is 25lb caught on a 3 inch ep fly .

distance is not important at all look for fishy type places , weed beds , dam walls , overhanging trees , structure etc all of which can be found close to the bank and will hold bait fish which in turn will hold pike

since i took up piking on the fly Ive landed 90% more fish than i ever did with bait or lures and its really opened my eyes as a method

may also help if you go with somebody that fishes with the fly to show you the ropes

hope that helps and tight lines

• 1 month later...

Agree with the above, it's a great method

Personally I'd be trying slightly heavier rod and line...I use a Bob Church fly rod coupled with an 11 or 12wt line and it's relatively easy to get distance when you need to i.e on trout ressies

When it comes to rivers distance not an issue, especially if you can wade and drift flies down with the current on a floating line.

God I can't wait to get out there with the fly in the spring & summer