Penalty shootout

Vagabond

Watched West Ham against Everton, and the winning penalty scored by a goalkeeper who (reportedly) had never taken a penalty in his life. A very good match

Left me wondering though.

Suppose that West Ham goalie had missed.

West Ham still had an 11th player available to take a penalty, whereas Everton did not (having had a man sent off)

Suppose West Ham's 11th player took the 11th penalty and scored? or not?

For Everton's 11th attempt, would they have had the choice for someone to take his second penalty ?

Which seems unfair, as they would obviously choose an experienced penalty taker as against the 11th choice of their opponents.

Or would they forfeit the game (if West Ham's 11th had scored) because their 11th player was unavailable? - which seems a logical consequence of having had a player sent off.

Or would the referee have instigated the second round of "sudden-death" penalties as soon as the tenth pair of penalties left the scores level ?

I can imagine there might even be different "penalty shoot-out" rules for different competitions

Does anyone know ?

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I think it's a second round of death penalties and has to be in the correct order as the first. I am sure i read this somewhere but i could well be enlightened

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Not fishing then Dave?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Here's some of the rules:-

Only players who were on the pitch at the end of play are allowed to participate in the shoot-out.

If at the beginning of kicks from the penalty mark one side has more players on the pitch than the other, then the side with more players must select an appropriate number of players who will not take part

No player is allowed to take a second kick from the penalty mark until all other eligible players have taken a first kick, including the goalkeeper.

If it becomes necessary for players to take a second kick (because the score has remained equal after all eligible players have taken their first kick), teams are not required to follow the same order of kickers as was used for the first kick.

That makes sense - the side that did not have a player sent off thus has the slight advantage of discarding their "worst" penalty taker - a small but fair advantage.

Thanks Ajay

RNLI Governor

Not fishing then Dave?

Den

Not fishing then Dave?

Den

Nope. Treating my first cold in ten years by watching others sweat whilst drinking hot spiced rum - not as good as fishing, but beats playing dominoes.

RNLI Governor