Centenary outing for the Allcocks 1915....

Tigger

Nice one Ian :thumbs:

I was at Dave's yesterday and had a nosy at the one he's posted. Its amazing how well they have lasted. It runs perfectly and I could happily a gone trotting with it.

Sounds like the black on your fingers is just the soft alloy coming off. Another 100 years and it might all have gone. :bye2:

Thank's Brian :).

I'm surprised you didn't hide Daves reel up your sleeve on your way out...only messin'....he could have give it you on long term loan though lol.

I don't think it's the alloy Brian I think the staining on my fingers is the finnish they used back then, i've been told it was some kind of lead and acid concoction and was quite nasty for the workers health.

I managaed a short session today with the weather being better than of late I had to wet a line. I nearly just came straight back home though when I realised i'd forgotton my landing net..bu&&er ! Luckily the river was up a little and made it possible to hand out the fish in a few swims. I had a few chub, nothing of any size with most of them being between two pound'ish and a couple maybe just topping three pound. It was nice to be out in a bit of rare sunshine rather than wind and rain.

jan19cjub.jpg

• Like 1

Weather looked good today so just after midday I was away to the river for some trotting :). I did plenty of walking today and dropped into any glides that looked a bit sexy. Most of the glides produced a fish or two, all chub and nothing much over 3lb with most being about 1 1/2 to 2lb, nothing massive but they put a bend in the rod and pulled back hard for their size, about 17 fish altogether think. The river and surrounding fields where full of wildfould of various species and some of the flocks of geese where gigantic...literally thousands of the bu$$ers and whenever I heard the take off or coming over me I got ready to dodge the bombs ! The atmosphere was great today and especially after 4pm when a mist started rising from the river and birds where sounding off all around me.
Here's a small section of one of the flocks of geese as they went overhead....the barstewards cheesy_grin.gif

jan22birds.jpg

A few pic's of fish....

jan22chub1.jpg

jan22chub2.jpg

jan22chub3.jpg

I wasn't gonn'a bother goin' trotting today but I just had to get out on the bank, all be it only for the last several hours of daylight. I hadn't got many maggots left and so I supplemented them with an extra bait pouch of asda's frozen sweety. I was surprised to see the temp gague in the car showing 10 degrees ! I wish i'd gone on the big river targetting the barbel.
Anyhow, the fish weren't very obliging at first but after about 40min's of walking the bank and dropping into likely looking swims I finally found some chub smile.gif. There seemed to be a couple or more chub in every swim from then on and they all liked corn and maggot cocktailes...two peices of corn and four maggots on a drennan super spade. I don't know exactly how many chub I finnished up winding in but it must have been close to 20 or more...

jan252chub2.jpg

jan252chub.jpg

jan25chub.jpg

• Like 1

I hadn't planned on doing any fishing today but after i'd managed to get a few jobs done in the morning and then have a bite to eat I was left with several hours of daylight left :). So, I set out for the river at 2.15pm and arived at 2.30pm...I didn't hang about icon_hahaha.gif.
The wind was supposed to be around 20mph but it felt more like double that as I walked to the first swim, the only way I could describe that wind is "vile" ! Although the temp gauge in the car said it was 3 degrees it felt like minus 20 in that wind! My hands were aching with cold and I honestly questioned my own sanity and seriously considered doing an about turn and bu&&ering off back home for a brew and to thaw out! Being the glutten for punishment that I am I perservered and it did pay off. I managed to find some fish, in fact I found a nest full of the bu&&ers! The first swim only produced two fish and most of the swims after that produced one or two fish but then I found their nest.
I had caught about a dozen chub up to finding the nest. I had virtually a fish a trott in the nest swim and counted 22 fish before it got to dark to see the float tip, ok no monsters but in these conditions it was good to get 'em and they all pulled back hard. As I walked back to the car I couldn't believe there was no frost and the ground was still soft. Anyhow, when I got back to the car I noticed the landing net was froze solid and looked like a top hat when I leant it on a fence, just shows the wind chill must have been pretty cold !

feb1stchub2.jpg

feb1stchubsnet.jpg

• Like 1