Centenary outing for the Allcocks 1915....

Tigger

I got to the river at 2.30pm today so a good 2 1/2 hours to trott my float :). It was the best day conditons wise i've fished in for yonk's ! Hardly any wind and nice and sunny. The river had dropped right down but still coloured. I did the usual mobile approach dropping into likely looking swims as I walked. I finnished up with 16 chub, no big ones but most of them being between two and three pound...good fun :).
A few pic's from the session....

feb6thchubs1a.jpg

feb6thchubs1.jpg

feb6thchubs2.jpg

feb6thchubs3.jpg

Thank's Chris and Bob :).

I know it's a bit samey samey but since the forums quiet i'll put a quick post and pic's from today...better than nowt, I think lol.

I had a short trotting session this afternoon, had just over an hour of good light to fish in but the fish where there waiting to be wound in. I didn't catch as many as the last couple of sessions but I think that was due to lack of time to hunt them down. I only caught six and lost two within about a second and a half of hitting them...no big deal, saved me unhooking 'em :)......

feb7thchub1.jpg

feb7thchub.jpg

• Like 1

Nice Tigger, out of interest, what bait are you using ?

And do you bulk your shot or have them strung out, shirt button style ?

Bob

Hello Bob, I use maggots and sweetcorn, either seperate or as a cocktail... I swap about until something obliges :). I always stuff the hook with as much as I can get on it and i've never had any problems with the bait masking the hook, but then again I do try to strike like a panther LOL.

My shotting is usualy (I do swap them about if I feel I need to) a BB 6 to 12inch from the hook and several or more AA's depending on the size of float a foot or more above the BB. Recently i've found it best to fish with the bait just dragging bottom or with up to a foot or two dragging bottom depending on flow and depth.

Thanks Tigger,

Could I ask if you hold the float back allowing the bait to be fished in front off the float or do you have the float in front of the bait allowing it to be dragged behind ?

Bob

I vary it Bob, sometimes I just let the float go at it's own speed so the bait is well behind it, then hold it back so there's a bow of line from the float to the weights and bait so in theory they should be pretty much level pegging as they travel down the swim. Then I will hold back hard and inch the float down the swim with the bait well infront of it. I alter the depth quite a lot also, daft as it sounds, several inches can mean catching or blanking. I think it's just a case of trial and error until something is tempted to have a go at the bait.

I know you know all this already Bob :).

I vary it Bob, sometimes I just let the float go at it's own speed so the bait is well behind it, then hold it back so there's a bow of line from the float to the weights and bait so in theory they should be pretty much level pegging as they travel down the swim. Then I will hold back hard and inch the float down the swim with the bait well infront of it. I alter the depth quite a lot also, daft as it sounds, several inches can mean catching or blanking. I think it's just a case of trial and error until something is tempted to have a go at the bait.

I know you know all this already Bob :).

I wish I did Tigger, I tend to hold back so the hook/bait is in front of the float in shallower swims, in deeper swims I sort off step beg allowing the line to bow out or just fish over depth and let the bait drag behind ?

Although I have float fished for a very long time ( not as long as Vagabond) I still don't have a grasp of exactly what I'm doing ?

Bob

I wish I did Tigger, I tend to hold back so the hook/bait is in front of the float in shallower swims, in deeper swims I sort off step beg allowing the line to bow out or just fish over depth and let the bait drag behind ?

Although I have float fished for a very long time ( not as long as Vagabond) I still don't have a grasp of exactly what I'm doing ?

Bob

There's quite a few different ways of letting your bait travel down the river but there's always one that's the best one on the day :).