Centenary outing for the Allcocks 1915....

Tigger

Tigger,

The composition of your photos is becoming rather a "signature" for you which I like very much.

Silly question - why can I not see any line on your reel(s)?

Phone

Ohh - the reel in this thread looks rather old. You might want to consider investing in something more up to date

Tigger,

The composition of your photos is becoming rather a "signature" for you which I like very much.

Silly question - why can I not see any line on your reel(s)?

Phone

Ohh - the reel in this thread looks rather old. You might want to consider investing in something more up to date

Phone,

I don't put much more than 100ys of line on the reels so it's not really visable from the side on view. Here's a pic of the spool so you can see it ...

jan22sensorreel.jpg

Here's a pic of a fish which has still got the line attatched and then another of a fish with the maggots and hook still in it's trap...

sept3chub1.jpg

aug15dacemaggots.jpg

Thanks Tigger. If Chavender or any other Aerial historian is interested, the drum is just below 3.5" diameter, drum width 7/8" and engraved on the back in three straight lines

The "Allcock Aerial"

S Allcock & Co Ltd Redditch

England

No logo, and no lineguard

I would guess the reel dates about 1920 to 1923

I can now update that, Chavender has kindly identified my reel as a 7950 T2, and told me what additional points to look for (ebonite back plate and C-type ratchet spring - both of which check out) The manufacturing dates span the period I guessed at.

Many thanks, Chavender

Must take it trotting soon !

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I Managed several of hours trotting on the river today before the light faded. It felt quite warm as I walked up the bank and I wonderd if I should have left my top layer in the car but as the sun must have started to drop (I couldn't see it, it was cloudy lol) the temp's dropped off rapidly and I was glad I had a couple of layers on !
I had to walk quite a long way to find the fish today, they seemed to be spread out up and down the river in ones and two's with no decent shoals to get stuck into. One of the chub had a tear in it's side which looked a bit painfull :text-tumbleweed: . I reckon an otter had grabbed it and slid off as the tip of the chubs lower tail fin appeared to be nipped off...by inscisors I would imagine as the fish made it's escape. I'm not slagging the otter off by the way, it's gott's eat like the rest of us ;-) .
Several other fish had wounds more related to bad water quality than anything after a snack.

feb10chubotter.jpg

feb10chubotterclose.jpg

feb10chub4.jpg

feb10chub3.jpg

feb10chub2.jpg

feb10chub1.jpg

Edited by Tigger

I had an unexpected trotting session for the latter part of the afternoon today cheesy_grin.gif . The session turned out to be action packed, ok no big stuff but lots of feisty chub up to about three pounds. They where all well schooled in how to shed a hook in bankside vegatation and in how to make crazy all out dashes to get into any snags to do it...barstewards icon_hahaha.gif. I was in amongst a shoal of chub and getting a fish or loosing one on virtually every trott. As the action went on the fish seemed to be dropping further downstream and so I was having to trott further before the float was pulled under. Anyhow on one trott the float was about 45 / 50 yds down stream before doing a dissapearing act and I struck into what felt like a new uk record chub icon_hahaha.gif . Thinking it was a chub for the first few seconds I put on a lot of pressure to try and keep it out of the bankside vegatation but it didn't try to get into it and just kept pulling back so I kenw it wasn't a chub. I had to climb the steep banking asap and manouvre my way through the undergrowth along the bank whilst having to keep the line tight to the fish plus carry the landing net, another pair of hands would have been handy icon_rolleyes.gif . Anyhow I got down the bank pretty near to where the fish was hugging bottom which by now I was certain it was a barbel icon_cool.gif . This was unusual for this time of year and especially for this river (this was only my 4th barbel in here in 8yrs) so I was very pleased. After about 5min's of tug of war the fish slid over the net and what a lovely little barbel it was, it was in tip top fettle, a couple of pic's of it....

feb12barbel.jpg

feb12barbel3.jpg

feb12chub.jpg

feb12chubs1.jpg

Come on Tigger - confess ... until you realised it was a barbel, you must have been wetting yourself thinking you'd latched onto Moby-chub, no? :D

Edited by philocalist

Come on Tigger - confess ... until you realised it was a barbel, you must have been wetting yourself thinking you'd latched onto Moby-chub, no? :D

Yeah Phil, I did but it was only for several seconds LOL.

I managed to have another couple of hours trotting again today and did ok for chub. They weren't as thick and fast as the other day but they still obliged. Funny enough my best swim was straight infront of an active otter hold !

feb14chub.jpg

feb142chub.jpg

feb14chubs2.jpg

Nice one Ian, looks like you've been busy. :thumbs:

Ribbles been a bit slow for me as it could do with a bit more water. Cold, low and clear isn't a great combo.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep