Can I fish for pike with a carp waggler rod ?

Ali MacDonald

Guest Brumagem Phil
why why why :wallbash::angry::angry: do you realise that pike would be completly exaushted by overplaying them :schmoll: gotta be teh stupidest thing i have heard,

i catch pike in teh summer while zander fishing,on 2.75 tc rods and 15lb mainline they still go bonkers but i get em in quicker unhook them even quicker and i still have to hold em to let them recover,

talking like you have you should be banned from pike fishing :angry: pike are NOT carp!

BTW matt you still up for some pred fishing sometime this winter?

You think because I used a match rod that I overplayed the fish? You've made some rather poor assumptions!

I still use traces and 15lb mainline and can land the fish quickly............in FACT, I rarely have to hold a pike more than a few seconds before it drowns me as it dashes off.

Before you gob off next time, perhaps you could ask a few questions before going off on some dumb rant.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes i do, i can imagine the balance of such a set up..

its not gobbing off its telling you a fact,besides summer piking with baits, really isnt good for the pike.

boozle-no prob! give us a shout!

Edited by Russell Fitzpatrick

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

Guest Brumagem Phil
yes i do, i can imagine the balance of such a set up..

its not gobbing off its telling you a fact,besides summer piking with baits, really isnt good for the pike.

boozle-no prob! give us a shout!

Yes it was gobbing off......try reading your post again, it was rude, bad mannered and offensive.

The point I was trying to make was that (within reason) a rod is a rod and half of the variants are designed to part us from our well earned money and that whilst dead baiting with a match rod might not be the norm, it can be done without damage to the rod. As for the playing of fish issue.........you really do make me ruddy laugh! Look at the way the match brigade bully the hellout of mid double carp with their light tackle so no reason at all why a pike cant be brought under control adequately and swiftly with a soft rod.

As for when I fish for pike.....that aint non of your business fellah!

you make me laugh,

i said it in my previous post pike are not carp,they are alot more delicate,it doesnt take much at all to damage them,its not about damaging the rod its about overplaying the fish,something i have seen many many times with anglers and incorrect tackle,match boys bullying carp...hmmm probably why there mouths are always a mess?

all i can say is i'm glad you dont fish the same waters as me.

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

Guest Brumagem Phil
you make me laugh,

i said it in my previous post pike are not carp,they are alot more delicate,it doesnt take much at all to damage them,its not about damaging the rod its about overplaying the fish,something i have seen many many times with anglers and incorrect tackle,match boys bullying carp...hmmm probably why there mouths are always a mess?

all i can say is i'm glad you dont fish the same waters as me.

For christ sake pull your neck in mate!

Go and kick your dog or something.

The simple fact is that a mach rod is a crap took for any sort of pike fishing.

Like a fly rod, they are capable of exerting more pressure than most folks might imagine but they don't handle heavy lines well and arn't going to be any fun to use at all.

I think the main problem is that if someone is seriously thinking of using one rod and reel for everything from gugeon to pike, chances are, they're thinking about using the same line and that's simply a recipie for dead pike.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Guest Brumagem Phil
The simple fact is that a mach rod is a crap took for any sort of pike fishing.

Like a fly rod, they are capable of exerting more pressure than most folks might imagine but they don't handle heavy lines well and arn't going to be any fun to use at all.

I think the main problem is that if someone is seriously thinking of using one rod and reel for everything from gugeon to pike, chances are, they're thinking about using the same line and that's simply a recipie for dead pike.

I agree ken, it is a crap tool.........but it can work. The main point of my original remarks was aboutt he strength of rod........people automatically assume a match or float rod is either going to snap or cant impart enough pressure on a fish. Clearly neither is true.........in fact a match rod can impart as much pull on a fish as a 3lb carp rod, its just that YOU have to impart the energy rather than having the rod do it for you.

The rest of the tackle I used was purely pike.........nice long traces, hooks with crushed down barbs and 15lb line so no snap offs.

I just object strongly to the stupid and aggressive tone taken by Russell........no need for it at all, and you know me, I'll just lob it back in spade loads! :rolleyes:

I agree ken, it is a crap tool.........but it can work. The main point of my original remarks was aboutt he strength of rod........people automatically assume a match or float rod is either going to snap or cant impart enough pressure on a fish. Clearly neither is true.........in fact a match rod can impart as much pull on a fish as a 3lb carp rod, its just that YOU have to impart the energy rather than having the rod do it for you.

The rest of the tackle I used was purely pike.........nice long traces, hooks with crushed down barbs and 15lb line so no snap offs.

I just object strongly to the stupid and aggressive tone taken by Russell........no need for it at all, and you know me, I'll just lob it back in spade loads! :rolleyes:

maybe russell overdid it a bit mate, but theres fault on both sides here mate, because there are people of varying levels of ability on here, and to put it quite frankly saying that you could use a carp waggler rod is somewhat irresponsible.

the problem is that if there are any mistakes made with a pike then it couldwell end up dead, whereas its far less likely with other species.

a match rod is not suitable full stop. it neither has the backbone to safely cast large weights, nor the backbone to keep fish from snags. to say anything else is quite frankly ludicrous. i have a carp waggler rod, and its a nice rod, but if i was to play even a moderate pike on it, i would have to be very cautious with the playing.

get yourself a nice through action pike rod and you will be fine.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk