Can I fish for pike with a carp waggler rod ?

Ali MacDonald

Heres my take on it for what its worth

Phil

You left yourself wide open for the type of responses to your post that you got and its fair to say most but not all of the responses I agree with.

A match type rod is definatly not the rod to use for piking, too poor a tool to gain any sort of advantage with when playing a hard fighting fish like pike when you sometimes have to use a bit of brute strength and bully the fish before you feel really in control. Not the rod either to be casting half herrings out with either, not enough backbone to the rod and more prone to folding in half when tried, the best you could hope to do with such a cast was to lob said bait rather than casting.

Admittedly different rods can and are used for a multitude of purposes some of them not what they were originally designed for and some can cope quite well but anyone reading your response might be tempted to try the same and the end result could be one broken rod or worse still, and thats what people are driving at, is one exhausted knackered pike that goes belly up and dies due to exhaustion and overplaying.

The last scenario is one we should all be trying to avoid and thats why folk get a bit hot under the collar, yours may well have been a throw away remark but its how its read and acted upon by newcomers to the sport that will concern most on here who have an affinity for pike and pike fishing.

You really do need to take a chill pill and calm down a bit as the way I've read this thread so far most of the abusive tone has come from your postings reacting from whats been said, some of which I agree with ,some of which I don't but its something I've noticed creeping up in your posts more and more. It's not an agreeable trait and does'nt endear yourself to many members when you go off on one.

As for summer piking with baits, no problem with that, I do it and you're right its no ones business but yours, so long as the water temperates are not too warm then theres no problem in bait fishing for pike, in fact I'd say there are a lot of instances in winter when the fish wolf down the deads faster and deeper than they do in summer, so if you don't have a problem summer bait fishing then others should'nt either

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mark, brian,

thats exactly what i was getting at you have put it across alot better than me...

piking in summer in say scotland and up north where the weather is mostly cooler than the south isnt so much of a problem,i know that and i should have said such.

i am a passion pike angler and the way i see it is if you are going to fish for them,then you should do so using what has become the standard tackle,or set up.

its more for there saftey/welfare than our enjoyment.

Edited by Russell Fitzpatrick

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

Guest Brumagem Phil

Brian, I appreciate much of what you are saying, but nowhere did I say it was the perfect tool for the job.........I aint a rich man and cant afford the dozens of rods many use, and much of what I use is a compromise, for example when I was looking for a lure set-up I actually bought a 7 foot stalker for its dual purpose.

Also, on the lake I fish, I dont need to bully a fish unduly to gain control (I'm not a big fan of bullying fish anyway)...its nice and open so I can let the fish have its first burst for freedom and then gain control and bring him in. The way some people speak you'd think we were fishing for great whites in some of our lakes :rolleyes:

Bottom line was, at the time I wanted to chuck a deadbait out and had no other rod than the one I'd found so used it.........it didnt break and you'd be amazed at how far it could chuck a half herring although I preferred accuracy to distance. It worked so I kept on using it till I trod on it and broke it. I now use a carp rod to pike with.

As for the chill pill...........perhaps you might like to go back and reread russells original remarks. They were meant to inflame, and inflame they did. My reply to your civil post is civil as was my reply to ken........I'm a big believer in treating as you get treated. As to your remarks about character traits...........I'll mention your concerns to my therapist ;)

catch pike in teh summer while zander fishing,on 2.75 tc rods and 15lb mainline they still go bonkers but i get em in quicker unhook them even quicker and i still have to hold em to let them recover,

OVERPLAYING,is my point,i dont want to argue with you,i just would like you to fish for them properly with eth correct tackle,you cant see this tho,

matt and boozle are keen to learn more,i am reasonably experienced predator angler i could probably show them things they dont know better ways to handle pike unhook them etc....the difrence between them and you is they are not ignorant.

the original remarks were said to make you think,i hope ali comes on and reads this and NEVER attempts to catch pike on his wagggler rod instead i hope he will go out have a good look around and pick up a 20-30 pound carp/pike rod with at least 2.5lb test curve,my rods are only 30 quid each,fishing neednt cost a fortune.

AKA RATTY

Guest Brumagem Phil

There you go AGAIN with your assumptions!

I DO NOT overplay fish.....a match rod can easily apply enough pressure to rip a hook from a fishes mouth just as a carp rod can, its just the amount of pressure the angler (rather than the rod) would need to impart thats different so i think your argument about the rod being too weak is not at all correct.

Lets get this in perspective here, we are talking about pike, not great white sharks! If a rod has the backbone to tame a 15 carp then it can tame a 15 lb pike.

Its funny really......I dont have problems with tired pike when I put them back, but you claim to have problems with your 'heavy gear'........maybe theres a message for you there?

What I really object to however is your continued abrasive attitude. :angry:

mark, brian,

thats exactly what i was getting at you have put it across alot better than me...

piking in summer in say scotland and up north where the weather is mostly cooler than the south isnt so much of a problem,i know that and i should have said such.

i am a passion pike angler and the way i see it is if you are going to fish for them,then you should do so using what has become the standard tackle,or set up.

its more for there saftey/welfare than our enjoyment.

phil,

sadly your missint the point.

overplaying a pike will result in a build up of lactic acid, particularly in warmer water, as pike are designed for sudden swift movement, not long continuous excersise.

this lactic acid build up can cause death if the pike cannot disperse it.

thats why you need to use suitable gear

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

i havent got time to keep re-peating my self i have to go to work now,marks just said it all for me really. pike are not carp.....

AKA RATTY

Guest Brumagem Phil
phil,

sadly your missint the point.

overplaying a pike will result in a build up of lactic acid, particularly in warmer water, as pike are designed for sudden swift movement, not long continuous excersise.

this lactic acid build up can cause death if the pike cannot disperse it.

thats why you need to use suitable gear

What part of I DONT OVERPLAY FISH dont you understand?

A carp will outscrap a pike any day yet you seem to think a match rod is ok to tame a carp but not ok to tame a pike?

Bizarre!

If I thought using that rod was dangerous to the fish then I wouldnt have used it.........its that simple. (check out some of my other threads and you'll find I'm a thoughtful fisherman when it comes to fish care)

Theres only one person here who has said they have problems with over tired fish and that Russel.......now theres irony for you.

Had enough of this thread anyway.........I caught my pike, they were not overly stressed and they all went back unharmed and the rod is now broken.............END OF STORY! (well it should be but I doubt it)

ts funny really......I dont have problems with tired pike when I put them back, but you claim to have problems with your 'heavy gear'........maybe theres a message for you there?

one last thing....i fish a weirpool/river the pike i hook no matter what size go liek stink thast why i sometimes have to let them recover,i showed a young lad who was catching pike and explained what mark has said...he said thanks mate i didnt know that,in future i wil remeber that and be carefull with them,thats what i like to hear.

end of.

AKA RATTY

Guest Brumagem Phil
i havent got time to keep re-peating my self i have to go to work now,marks just said it all for me really. pike are not carp.....

Yes re-repeating yourself is all you've managed to do!!!

Not once have you asked what the lake is like I fish.......what time of year precisely I fish......what the water temperature is like etc etc etc......you just want to make a whole raft of assumptions to support your indignation even though YOU are the only one here who seems to play pike till they are exhausted by your own admission!