Can I fish for pike with a carp waggler rod ?

Ali MacDonald

What part of I DONT OVERPLAY FISH dont you understand?

A carp will outscrap a pike any day yet you seem to think a match rod is ok to tame a carp but not ok to tame a pike?

Bizarre!

If I thought using that rod was dangerous to the fish then I wouldnt have used it.........its that simple. (check out some of my other threads and you'll find I'm a thoughtful fisherman when it comes to fish care)

Theres only one person here who has said they have problems with over tired fish and that Russel.......now theres irony for you.

Had enough of this thread anyway.........I caught my pike, they were not overly stressed and they all went back unharmed and the rod is now broken.............END OF STORY! (well it should be but I doubt it)

you still fail to see that pike are not carp phil,they are completly different fish! i never said i play them till they are kanckered i said i get them in quick and back in teh wtare even quicker,join the PAC mate you might learn something,you are really annoying me now and soon i will get rude and offensive so its best we leave it as it is.

Edited by Russell Fitzpatrick

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What part of I DONT OVERPLAY FISH dont you understand?

A carp will outscrap a pike any day yet you seem to think a match rod is ok to tame a carp but not ok to tame a pike?

Bizarre!

If I thought using that rod was dangerous to the fish then I wouldnt have used it.........its that simple. (check out some of my other threads and you'll find I'm a thoughtful fisherman when it comes to fish care)

Theres only one person here who has said they have problems with over tired fish and that Russel.......now theres irony for you.

Had enough of this thread anyway.........I caught my pike, they were not overly stressed and they all went back unharmed and the rod is now broken.............END OF STORY! (well it should be but I doubt it)

phil,

the whole reason that carp are so popular is because they grow big and FIGHT HARD. they fight hard because they have stamina, pike are not designed this way and over exertion will cause lactic acid build up (cramp).

like in us this will not neccessarily be instantaneous and can hit them later and cause them to stop swimming and die.

the reason that i keep harking on about it is because you clearly cannot see that to advocate using unbalanced tackle is armfull, it is, but quite clearly you dont care.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

Guest Brumagem Phil
you still fail to see that pike are not carp phil,they are completly different fish! i never said i play them till they are kanckered i said i get them in quick and back in teh wtare even quicker,join the PAC mate you might learn something,you are really annoying me now and soon i will get rude and offensive so its best we leave it as it is.

You've been rude from the getgo russell so why change your attitude now? I really dont care if I'm annoying you..............bottom line is I had the skill to use equipment not meant for the job and neither harmed any fish or damaged the equipment. I will defend my actions VIGOROUSLY against such mealy mouthed challenges such as yours.

I'm not advocating that people go and buy match rods to pike with, but what I AM saying is that with a bit of thought one can make better use of what one DOES have.

phil,

the whole reason that carp are so popular is because they grow big and FIGHT HARD. they fight hard because they have stamina, pike are not designed this way and over exertion will cause lactic acid build up (cramp).

like in us this will not neccessarily be instantaneous and can hit them later and cause them to stop swimming and die.

the reason that i keep harking on about it is because you clearly cannot see that to advocate using unbalanced tackle is armfull, it is, but quite clearly you dont care.

You are just the same as russel.........just so full of your own assumptions that you cant see past them!

I care.........I care very much and cherish each fish I catch. If I thought my actions were genuinely damaging the fish then I wouldnt fish, period!

You just ASSUME that a big stick of a rod can bring in a fish faster or in a less harmful manner than a softer one, and thats just plain tosh!

so teh latic acid build up in a pike through taking a little bit longer to land it isnt a problem?

rude...really...

sorry, your skills are better than mine,you are a god phil,dont worry about the pike getting a latic biuld up that might just kill it(something carp dont suffer from) you just carry on fella, keep trying to switch it round on me.

you care so much you wont listen to scientific fact,if you care so much how coem you wont discuss teh latic acid biuld up phil...i yeah its because you havent a clue!

AKA RATTY

You've been rude from the getgo russell so why change your attitude now? I really dont care if I'm annoying you..............bottom line is I had the skill to use equipment not meant for the job and neither harmed any fish or damaged the equipment. I will defend my actions VIGOROUSLY against such mealy mouthed challenges such as yours.

I'm not advocating that people go and buy match rods to pike with, but what I AM saying is that with a bit of thought one can make better use of what one DOES have.

You are just the same as russel.........just so full of your own assumptions that you cant see past them!

I care.........I care very much and cherish each fish I catch. If I thought my actions were genuinely damaging the fish then I wouldnt fish, period!

You just ASSUME that a big stick of a rod can bring in a fish faster or in a less harmful manner than a softer one, and thats just plain tosh!

bash: :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: :wallbas:

Mark Barrett

By general consensus, a gassed-up pike is one that, instead of swimming off underwater when returned after capture, swims just under the surface and attempts to dive. Sometimes it fails to dive and then starts to wallow on the surface. This may be so bad that the pike rolls over onto its back. At this stage it is clear that the pike is in trouble. There appear to be two types of 'gassing-up'; one in which the pike appears very obviously inflated, and a second where the pike is simply unable to maintain its equilibrium and remain upright.

'Gassed-up' pike are often associated with deep water venues, where pike are caught close to the bottom and raised quite quickly to the surface. Anglers have reported seeing pike coming up from deep water emitting bubbles from their mouths, which suggests that pike can release excess gas from their swim bladders if they need to, but perhaps under some circumstances they are unable to do this and become 'gassed-up'.

'Gassed-up' pike caught from shallow waters are more likely to be the result of exhaustion and the build-up of lactic acid as a consequence of the energetic and/or prolonged fight. The problem with lactic acid is that lots of it can in fact be dangerous, affecting the chemical balance of the exercised fish. Some anglers have released pike only to see them swim out a few yards and roll on their side on the bottom. Clearly these pike have not been 'gassed-up', but over tired. For a pike which has been over-exercised by someone trying to land it using light gear, a period of recovery is required. A period when plenty of oxygen is essential.

Keeping the pike out of the water too long, and high marginal water temperatures with low oxygen levels can increase the problem. It seems likely that the two phenomena of lactic acid build up and excess gas could be connected. Dr Bruno Broughton suspects that the act of playing a pike, especially if the fight is hard, can cause a malfunction of the duct between the swim bladder and the foregut, although quite how this occurs is open to conjecture.

The key to avoid pike 'gassing up' in the first place seems to be to use tackle which will land pike quickly. A mimimum15lb line and rods with test curves between 2.5lb and 3.5lb will ensure that no pike should take longer than ten minutes to land. Don't play your fish for longer than necessary. Don't keep the fish out of the water for more than a couple of minutes otherwise you may have a fatality on your hands. Rest it in the landing net in-between unhooking and photography. Then get it back quickly. Six photos is more than enough for anyone!

If you should be so unlucky to have a pike in difficulty you need to find shallow, sheltered piece of water and stake the fish out using all your rod rests, or anything you can beg or borrow to form a 'cradle' to keep the pike upright, then simply leave it alone for as long as it takes the fish to recover. This might be minutes or hours, but the more you mess the pike about the worse things will get. If you can find an area of oxygenated current, such as an incoming stream, place the pike in this area facing into the flow.

Various ideas have been suggested regarding releasing excess gas from the swim bladder. Indeed the Americans have had some success using a syringe to remove gas from the swim bladders of walleye. Unfortunately, this is a skilled technique which we don't recommend untrained anglers to attempt. Some anglers have reported some success in releasing gas by holding back the gullet wall with a landing net handle. Others recommend bending the fish to force gas out. However, all these techniques seem risky and uncertain - but in extreme cases they might be worth trying. A staked out fish, once it has metabolised its excess lactic acid should be able to rectify the balance of gas in its swim bladder, keep itself upright and swim strongly away.

AKA RATTY

Guest Brumagem Phil

Hey russ.............who is the one who has probs with over tired pike, is it me or is it you?

End of chat.

Enjoy yourself at work......I'm off fishing :)

Hey russ.............who is the one who has probs with over tired pike, is it me or is it you?

End of chat.

Enjoy yourself at work......I'm off fishing :)

as a matter of interest phil, what do you think a rank beginner would make of this thread?

Mark Barrett

You are BOTH right!! Because you BOTH have your opinion and no-one or anything is going to sway you!! I do agree with you Phil insofar as I myself have landed pike on match gear and YES!! they DO go back NO worse for wear. I have also fished for pike and played an 8lb fish for what seemed ages!! It went back but not NEARLY as quickly as the match rod caught fish!! So in conclusion may I be permitted to say that it is a "Horses for courses" sort of thing!!

Again you are BOTH right!! as no-one can be wrong!! Think about it!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Guest Brumagem Phil
You are BOTH right!! Because you BOTH have your opinion and no-one or anything is going to sway you!! I do agree with you Phil insofar as I myself have landed pike on match gear and YES!! they DO go back NO worse for wear. I have also fished for pike and played an 8lb fish for what seemed ages!! It went back but not NEARLY as quickly as the match rod caught fish!! So in conclusion may I be permitted to say that it is a "Horses for courses" sort of thing!!

Again you are BOTH right!! as no-one can be wrong!! Think about it!!

Well I best cancel my order for one of your nice pike rods then :P:)