Can I fish for pike with a carp waggler rod ?

Ali MacDonald

I reckon this thread might have just run its' course....

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wahey ! I am only a new angler asking an innocent question and didn't expect to prompt such an emotive debate ! I get the drift that my waggler is unsuitable and I should perhaps invest in a specific pike rod predominantly for the fishes welfare, which I totally agree with. No, Chris, sorry don't want to swap my waggler as I enjoy catching carp, even if they aren't that big yet ! but may look at your website for ideas for pike gear.....

Nobody has answered my question about the test curve on a Daiwa harrier 13ft waggler ?? Any ideas please

Ali :)

Certainly am Russell!

I'm working the next two weekends, but maybe we can sort something out for later in the month or October?

Mat

ali, its a very difficult question to answer, but its certainly going to be less than 1lb, probably half of that.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

Well I best cancel my order for one of your nice pike rods then :P:)

And I was going to GIVE you one for being so nice....... :P:P:P

From memory I THINK the standard tip is .75Lb and the spliced tip was .35lb

Edited by Chris Goddard

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Hey russ.............who is the one who has probs with over tired pike, is it me or is it you?

End of chat.

Enjoy yourself at work......I'm off fishing :)

phil [Edited - John S. No personal attacks or petty namecalling please chaps....],you still cant see that they are not carp.

i have tried showing you scientific facts but still you are right and im wrong. i have also told you i only ever had probs in summer and not with every fish and with river pike wich fight alot harder than stillwater fish due to their envoiriment,ie strong flows etc youll never learn cos you cant see past your own nose.

matt well up for it mate let me know when ya can

Edited by John S

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

Ali,even though (as in all fishing) correct tackle selection is important one of the biggest differences with piking is the need to learn how to safely handle them.This is safety for both the fish and your self!

Despite their ferocious looks they are really a very delicate fish.Due to the way they feed they are also prone to deep hooking and given the tackle used this can be disasterous.There are a lot of new skills to learn.Best way is to try and get an experienced piker to take you under his wing and show you.It really isnt that hard once you are shown.

Also try taking a look on the net for the many good articles that are now available on all areas of pike fishing.First stop has to be -

http://www.pacgb.co.uk/

but dont forget to check out Leons articles on this site.

If you have any specific questions dont hesitate to ask.Also where abouts are you based as I might know some one in the area who may help.Or be able to give you a contact for the local PAC region.post-142-1157416045.gif

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Ali,even though (as in all fishing) correct tackle selection is important one of the biggest differences with piking is the need to learn how to safely handle them.This is safety for both the fish and your self!

Despite their ferocious looks they are really a very delicate fish.Due to the way they feed they are also prone to deep hooking and given the tackle used this can be disasterous.There are a lot of new skills to learn.Best way is to try and get an experienced piker to take you under his wing and show you.It really isnt that hard once you are shown.

Also try taking a look on the net for the many good articles that are now available on all areas of pike fishing.First stop has to be -

http://www.pacgb.co.uk/

but dont forget to check out Leons articles on this site.

If you have any specific questions dont hesitate to ask.Also where abouts are you based as I might know some one in the area who may help.Or be able to give you a contact for the local PAC region.post-142-1157416045.gif

Thanks Budgie for the advice. My location is on my profile if you know anyone nearby. It would be good to just go out an watch to start with.

Ali