Ike

Chris Plumb

Hope Texas is ready for Ike - fear it may not be and that folks have been lulled into thinking "It's 'only' a Cat 2 Hurricane!" Ike actually has a hugh Hurricane strength windfield - reaching out 115 miles from the storm centre - now considerably bigger than Katrina. Whilst max winds aren't that impressive the overall size of it is - In terms of its Kinetic energy it's the biggest Atlantic hurricane in 40 years - the storm surge on the coast is going to be catastrophic..... :o

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/show.html

C.

(I had bookmarked the webcams on Galveston to see the cyclone come ashore - but they appear to have already been knocked out - or turned off!)

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is part of a statement from the Galveston office of the National Weather Service. If you were in the affected area, do you think you would evacuate? Bear in mind that the NWS is conservative with this sort of announcement.

All neighborhoods... and possibly entire coastal communities... will be inundated during high tide. Persons not heeding evacuation orders in single family one or two story homes will face certain death. Many residences of average construction directly on the coast will be destroyed. Widespread and devastating personal property damage is likely elsewhere. Vehicles left behind will likely be swept away. Numerous roads will be swamped... some may be washed away by the water. Entire flood prone coastal communities will be cutoff. Water levels may exceed 9 feet for more than a mile inland. Coastal residents in multi-story facilities risk being cutoff. Conditions will be worsened by battering waves. Such waves will exacerbate property damage... with massive destruction of homes... including those of block construction. Damage from beach erosion could take years to repair.
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

This is part of a statement from the Galveston office of the National Weather Service. If you were in the affected area, do you think you would evacuate? Bear in mind that the NWS is conservative with this sort of announcement.

I wonder if anyone is sitting tight on Galveston Island :eek:

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I wonder if anyone is sitting tight on Galveston Island :eek:

If they have I wonder if they will have taken percieved advice and written their names and SS no. in indelible ink on their limbs and torso!!!!!! :o

C.

Interesting that the Saphire-Simpson scale only indicates the maximum sustained wind-strength at the small heart of a hurricane, whereas it has become apparent in recent years that the scale doesn't indicate the overall potential destructiveness of the hurricane.

It gives no real indication ofsize (area affected - how far you need to run), rainfall or storm surge etc.

The problem is that residents went to bed hearing on the news channels that Ike was expected to weaken, coming ashore as a category 1, and thinking that Ike won't be so bad.

Well, now they are waking to a revised estimate of a cat 3 at landfall!

Already, flooding is starting to occur (amazing this early, with the eye still a long way offshore), gas stations are closed, and it looks as though some people will very much regret basing their decisions on whether to stay or go, simply on the predicted category of what is a real monster.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Just got word that fuel prices are spiking upward toward $5.00 this AM. Newt and Jan I hope you have full tanks already.

Current reading from an oil platform - some way from the centre of Ike...

5-day plot - Wind Direction Wind Direction (WDIR): NE ( 50 deg true )

5-day plot - Wind Speed Wind Speed (WSPD): 99.1 kts

5-day plot - Atmospheric Pressure Atmospheric Pressure (PRES): 28.65 in

5-day plot - Air Temperature Air Temperature (ATMP): 78.8 °F

5-day plot - Dew Point Dew Point (DEWP): 75.2 °F

5-day plot - Heat Index Heat Index (HEAT): 82.4 °F

99.1Knots =114 mph winds

Galveston webcams ... http://www.galveston.com/webcams/

C.

Just got word that fuel prices are spiking upward toward $5.00 this AM. Newt and Jan I hope you have full tanks already.

I asked the dufus to fill the tanks last night. he's waiting until this morning.