Whats the best spod mix ?

kestrel

Hi guys I could really do with some help. I am going on a 48 hr session next week and would like some ideas on what would be the best spod mix to use in a weedy lake. Any help would be very much appreciated. I don't really have the option to spend £'s and £'s.

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Kestrel and welcome to the forum :thumbs: What sort of weed will you be fishing in? Are there clear spots you can aim at or is it choked with weed all over? I would suggest that you first decide whether you are going to fish the clear spots, punch through the weed and fish under it on the lake bottom or lay on top of it and fish in the weed. If you can get to the clear spots accurately with your spod I would use a mix that is heavy and would sink quickly. If punching through I would suggest using solid pva bags to get your mix right onto to the bottom. In the case of laying on the weed I would use something - maybe flaked maize - that would settle on the weed. Just a few ideas that hopefully will get you thinking about how you approach this session.

Good Luck :fish::fishing:

....Here's to swimming with bow-legged women....

there are weed free spots where I try to fish to.They are quite small though, there is both floating and thick weed beds, thanks for the tips cidermonkey.

Has anyone out there used and had success with vitalin ? Any tips on spod mix's would help.

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

A pretty standard mix for me would be :-

Tin Frenzied Hemp and Juice

Tin of Meaty Marine Groundbait

3 sizes of pellet

Salmon

small tin of corn

1/2 Kilo of boilie crump

1/2 Kilo of Whole and Boilie chops

Tin of Tuna in Sunflower oil

Hemp oil

Salmon oil

Additions depending on water or approach could be

Dendrobenas

Muscles (chopped whole or liquidised)

Casters

Swimstim

Prawns (Chopped whole or Liquidised

Cockles

Lupins

Rape seed

Robin Red

sardine and anchovy meal

CLO

etc etc etc

Hope this helps

A pretty standard mix for me would be :-

Tin Frenzied Hemp and Juice

Tin of Meaty Marine Groundbait

3 sizes of pellet

Salmon

small tin of corn

1/2 Kilo of boilie crump

1/2 Kilo of Whole and Boilie chops

Tin of Tuna in Sunflower oil

Hemp oil

Salmon oil

Additions depending on water or approach could be

Dendrobenas

Muscles (chopped whole or liquidised)

Casters

Swimstim

Prawns (Chopped whole or Liquidised

Cockles

Lupins

Rape seed

Robin Red

sardine and anchovy meal

CLO

etc etc etc

Hope this helps

thats an incredible mix of ingredients for a spod mix, I didn't realise people used so much to make up a mix.

The mix above will cost you a small fortune :headhurt:

Get some redband seed, half fill a bucket with it, fill 3/4 fall with boiling water, place a lid on it and leave for 48 hours, just before fishing add a tin or 2 of sweetcorn that will cost you about £3 max and the fish will love it :)

Edited by MarkSpod

The next one will be a biggy

The mix above will cost you a small fortune :headhurt:

Get some redband seed, half fill a bucket with it, fill 3/4 fall with boiling water, place a lid on it and leave for 48 hours, just before fishing add a tin or 2 of sweetcorn that will cost you about £3 max and the fish will love it :)

Thanks Markspod for the recipe, must admit not heard of redband seed , I presume its available at pet shop / supplies type shop ?

This sounds more reasonable in terms of price, have you had many when using it ?

Thanks Markspod for the recipe, must admit not heard of redband seed , I presume its available at pet shop / supplies type shop ?

This sounds more reasonable in terms of price, have you had many when using it ?

Its a bird seed mix (haiths redband) but any particle/seed mix will work prepared the same way, and yes I've caught loads over it :) Good luck mate

Edited by MarkSpod

The next one will be a biggy

I buy most bait in bulk from a local animal feed supplier and for spod work use :

Partiblend

Hemp

8 mm strekker pellets

4 mm strekker pellets

The water from cooking hemp which I keep in bottles in an old freezer

Sweetcorn

Tuna (in either oil or brine)

Hookbait samples

If I want a cloud effect I also add fishmeal.

I keep all the pellets seperate until I want to use them for the simple reason I do not want the pellets to start dissolving amoungst the other stuff until they are in the lake!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!