Whats the best spod mix ?

kestrel

How many times do you cast when spodding? What do you consider to be a lot of spod mix ?

Edited by kestrel

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys I could really do with some help. I am going on a 48 hr session next week and would like some ideas on what would be the best spod mix to use in a weedy lake. Any help would be very much appreciated. I don't really have the option to spend £'s and £'s.

:lol::lol: Reckon your beyond help matey !!! How about fishing a "proper" lake. Get that "bl@@dy" dog off this forum, it worries me just seeing his photo!!!!

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

:lol::lol: Reckon your beyond help matey !!! How about fishing a "proper" lake. Get that "bl@@dy" dog off this forum, it worries me just seeing his photo!!!!

Nothing wrong with taking on 20 acres !

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

• 1 year later...
Hi guys I could really do with some help. I am going on a 48 hr session next week and would like some ideas on what would be the best spod mix to use in a weedy lake. Any help would be very much appreciated. I don't really have the option to spend £'s and £'s.

hello im gonna give this a shot and help you the best i can

well hemp is a good place to start aswells as pellets try and use 6mm or micro pellets if you can.

to that u can add sweetcorn normal or tutti frutti or strawberry i think theres scopex flavor to now.

for extra attractent u can use a glug if u used fruity sweetcorn then go for a flavor like tutti or pineapple plus, if u used scopex or fishmeal then u can use strong fishy flavors like liquid liver or green lipped mussel

if ur mix is sloppy use any ground bait to stiffen the mix i find black swim stim is great because it dosent over power ur flavors

hope i helped if u want a mix here is 1

hemp 2 700g tins

tares 1 700g tin

maize 1 700g tin

flavored sweetcorn 2 tins

glug any flavor 2 large sqirts

if u need any more help just holla

matt

• 11 months later...

I have never been a fan of spodding but this year we had some incredible catches made by anglers do just that. The succesful mix was based on Vitaline with a mixture of pellets and tinned tuna plus a little hemp. Since then I have had some of the lads bring Vitalin over for me and I now regard it as an essential part of my armoury. Not spodded but made into large balls and placed in the swim by boat it has worked a charm. Best of all its cheap !!! lol

there are weed free spots where I try to fish to.They are quite small though, there is both floating and thick weed beds, thanks for the tips cidermonkey.

Has anyone out there used and had success with vitalin ? Any tips on spod mix's would help.

If you are looking for a cheap spod mix then buy some oat groats,i usually soak about 3 or 4 kg of these in water a couple of days before i go fishing along with a kilo of 14mm halibut pellets and a bag of frozen sweetcorn.Cover the groats with plenty of water as they expand to double their original size.They will also take on the flavour of the pellets..Sometimes i will add a bag of Bait techs mojo ground bait for a nice smelly cloudy mix....

For those of you finding Redband difficult to source or too expensive, go to your local pet food warehouse and ask for Pigeon 'Trapping Mix'. You'll know you've got the right stuff as it'll have a very slight aniseed smell to it.

Submerge the trapping mix in boiling water until all of the water has been soaked up (add more if necessary) then add Vitalin (gold/yellow packet). Use the excess water from the Trapping Mix to get the mixture to bind to a consistancy to either spod in, ball in or even on the method. If you don't mind the attention of Tench or Bream then by all means add micro pellets and/or sweetcorn.

Garth.