first bognor bass !

luffers

Hi All,

After a wasted round trip from Bognor to Telford today with work I arrived back home at 1530.

A quick check on the beach showed wind 3-4 SW but I needed a fishing fix so it was straight home and within 30 minutes I was back on the beach with my Yak and underway out at low-water !.

I have decided to sacrifice one of my trout rod and reels to do some saltwater fly fishing and I started with this just drifting the line of the rocks as the tide started to flood !. After 4 long drifts and nothing I decided to switch to my spinning rod and on the first drift I caught my first Bognor Bass about 1 lb 12ozs. The next drift I hooked a much better fish that came off close to the kayak which I estimated at 4-5 lbs. Next drift nothing and on the last drift I had a hard fighting Bass of 3lbs 5ozs!

This is just what I have brought my yak for hit-and-run 2 hours concentrated effort!! Brilliant!

regards

Luffers

Nice one luffers, image if you had managed one on the fly first time out, what flies were you trying. I have had most success with a white Schminnow size 6, but have accumulated a box full of flies to try over the coming months.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Well done Luffers, chuffed for you.

Now, compare the lure you caught on and use a fly of a similar size, or a little larger - then you'll get them on the fly too! There are some times when a fly will work better than a lure.

What fly line are you using - most of us use a gost tip as it is the most versatile - floating main section with 15' of clear intermediate on the end. Use that with a furled leader and about 8 feet (max needed) of mono - 8lb 10lb or 12lb depending on the ground you are over.

You can get furled leaders from here - they are brilliant ones too. Self explanatory:

http://www.furledleaders.co.uk/sst.htm

keep at it - but try not to tell people where you catch them or you will find that your own bass fishing is knackered by a local with a net.....loook at what happened in N. Wales.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Nice one luffers, image if you had managed one on the fly first time out, what flies were you trying. I have had most success with a white Schminnow size 6, but have accumulated a box full of flies to try over the coming months.

Hi sm,

Well i just decided to use my 7-8 wieght trout fishing set up with floating line and the biggest dead chicken in the box !!

Were did you get your schminnows from ?

From comments my fly even thou it had a small plastic sandeel tail is too small so i need to move up in size !!

regards

luffers

Well done Luffers, chuffed for you.

Now, compare the lure you caught on and use a fly of a similar size, or a little larger - then you'll get them on the fly too! There are some times when a fly will work better than a lure.

What fly line are you using - most of us use a gost tip as it is the most versatile - floating main section with 15' of clear intermediate on the end. Use that with a furled leader and about 8 feet (max needed) of mono - 8lb 10lb or 12lb depending on the ground you are over.

You can get furled leaders from here - they are brilliant ones too. Self explanatory:

http://www.furledleaders.co.uk/sst.htm

keep at it - but try not to tell people where you catch them or you will find that your own bass fishing is knackered by a local with a net.....loook at what happened in N. Wales.

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the link!

When i am at low water the depth i am in is about 3-4 feet and very rocky , so i decided to use a floating line to start with and see how it went but i may have to use a sink-tip ? . I have a whole wallet full of big trout flys but i am interested in your comment about the size of fly i should be using and i will try your suggestion and let you know how i get on !!

What weight rod do you use ?

Bit late for keeping it quite as there are nets and pots every where BUT alot is not netted so there is room for all !!

regards

Luffers

Just wait until the FPO gets at them Luffers. You will never live it down if she boats the the big one you lost. :fishing:

Neil.

Hi Neil !

Please dont tempt fate !! she already asked me if i get some bass flys she want one ! i may just give her some of my old trout flys ???

mind you knowing her luck se will bag a double on a size 14 buzzer :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

I tye the Shminnows myself, very easily done.

The Ghost Tip as Simon has already mentioned was a turning point for me and my bass fishing, was using a floating line before that, but wasn't having much luck.

The furled leaders that Simon mentioned are superb, I go for the option of tapered leaders 9ft, rarely bother with a tippet until the the tapered leader starts getting a little short. Many just use mono straight through with no taper.

I find the smaller flies work best for me, nothing bigger than a size 1 although there are plenty bigger in my fly box.

Keep at it.

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com