Redneck Carp Tournament

severus

Yup. I wish this were a joke but it really isn't.

I wonder if any of the commercial sea anglers might want to consider moving west and switching from salt to fresh water fishing?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Aside from the danger to boaters (and quite a few have been killed or injured in recent years) the fact that these large fish feed heavily on the micro-organisms needed to support the entire aquatic food chain is the main danger.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

is there a difference between the carp you fish for in the UK and the European carp we have here in the river Murray.

The European carp are a mass of bones and are devastating the river system.

When you catch one you can only return it to the river if you have killed it first, otherwise if caught returning them alive you are liable to be fined.They have adapted that well here that they are netted and used for crayfish bait or turned into garden fertilizer ( called Charlie Carp ).

I do know some people here of European descent that eat them and think they are great but they are not to my liking.

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

clifftop - the fish in the article are nothing like our old friend Cyprinus carpio (Common carp) that is giving you folks such fits.

Take a look at

http://www.invadingspecies.com/Invaders.cf...Page&PID=20

Our main problems are the Bighead Carp (Hypophthalmichthys nobilis) and Silver Carp (Hypophthalmichthys molitrix) {the ones that go nutsoid at the sound/vibration of outboard motors and launch themselves into the air}.

Silver & Bighead carp are good only for fertilizer, as far as I'm concerned. The Redneck tournament was done in jest but the carp certainly are a serious threat to the environment.

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain