Pike fishing time - help a beginner

Anderoo

It's approaching that time of year again :) Seasoned pikers will be back on the banks and new pikers will be going for their first sessions and asking advice on forums.

It's undeniable that, more than any other branch of angling, piking is better explained one-to-one on the bank rather than trying to learn from books, DVDs, or advice from a forum. There's no substitute for hands-on experience.

So, wouldn't it be a good idea for those of us at AN who are experienced pikers to offer up a bit of time and invite new pikers fom the forum for a day's fishing?

If anyone is local to Oxford and fancies a day's piking, I'll be more than happy to oblige - just send me a PM. Hopefully others from across the UK on the forum will also volunteer, and we can provide a fairly wide network of volunteers.

Here's hoping :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Great idea for a complete beginner like me! I only started fishing for the first time back in July, and have been struggling to teach myself as I don't know anyone else who goes fishing. It's a bit of an uphill battle, but you guys on here have been a great help. I'm actually catching fish now!

Hope you get some volunteers.

Janet

It's approaching that time of year again :) Seasoned pikers will be back on the banks and new pikers will be going for their first sessions and asking advice on forums.

It's undeniable that, more than any other branch of angling, piking is better explained one-to-one on the bank rather than trying to learn from books, DVDs, or advice from a forum. There's no substitute for hands-on experience.

So, wouldn't it be a good idea for those of us at AN who are experienced pikers to offer up a bit of time and invite new pikers fom the forum for a day's fishing?

If anyone is local to Oxford and fancies a day's piking, I'll be more than happy to oblige - just send me a PM. Hopefully others from across the UK on the forum will also volunteer, and we can provide a fairly wide network of volunteers.

That's a really nice idea Anderoo.

I certainly would have got a lot less fish and enjoyment out of piking had it not been for my friend and Ghillie Greg. I caught a pike once before fishing with greg, and I had very little knowledge of how to fish for them.

I had just been bought a jointed plug lure and thought I'd give it a pop. Caught on first cash and was delighted with a 3 pounder. However, when it was in the net I got my plyers to remove the trebbles and was extremely nervous as the fish kept thrashing about. Luckily a passer by was an angler, who helped me unhook the pike and then quite rightly gave me a rollocking for the lack of wire trace.

It was stupid of me to fish for pike without properly investigating how do do it. Had I been on here beforehand I would have know to go prepared and with a ghillie.

Shortly after that I joined AN and have never looked back. I have been piking for a few years with Ghillie Greg now, and in May I was the Ghillie for the first time with my friend Matt, which was a good feeling as I plopped an 11lb fish on the bank.

In the meantime, if you want to try piking on the Kennet and Avon Canal in the Bedwyn area (on the train from Paddington, Reading, Swindon etc) then I would be happy to Ghillie.

Cheers,

Simon

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

Sounds on the face of it a good idea, but whats so special about forum members that you would want to invite them out for a days instruction, what about anyone who would like a days instruction in piking?

Taking out relative or absolute newcomers to piking is something that some of us have been doing and are currently doing and have done for a long number of years. In the tackle shop that I use there is a long list of folk who want to come out with me for a day, some just want to know my spots, some want to learn more and some are complete novices. If I took everyone who wanted to learn, and this is worth taking on board, then my own fishing days would be about zero but everyone else would benefit, so taking out newcomers has to be tempered with the need to actually go fishing ourselves.

Most local PAC branch's organise junior days with the sole purpose of instruction and education and I'm currently trying to put such a day together myself but it becomes more difficult when issues like child protection and CRB checks are involved.

If anyone wanted a days instruction then I'm sure all RO's and local branch's would happily organise it and endevour to put fish on the bank for "the trainee" as the best way to educate and enthuse is through the sight and capture of your first pike and it does'nt have to be a biggie to do that

Well done fellas! Despite the many Pike Teach Ins I do each year it is impossible to do enough to meet the demand! biggest problem is finding a suitable venue and the personnal cost to me! Ive really cut back on the other fishing related things I do such as slide shows (er which reminds me Brian I never got back to you,will send you a PM) even going to other peoples fish ins just so I can put my limited time and resources into what I believe is a very important thing.My health is also a factor that stops me doing more of the ones I have to organise my self.Its far easier for me to just turn up and do it rather than all the extra stress of arranging it! Sorry but it cant be helped.

Because of this its great seeing so many others prepared to pass on what they know.The PAC do do the occaisional teach in but no where near as many as I would like to see.Most RO's in all fairness are doing a great job just running the every day existance of their regions get togethers etc.As I said the organisation is a lot more time consuming than many think.

I dont know if Im going to be able to manage another AN Teach In at our normal Wraysbury venue this year at this stage.Shame as they are normally a good weekend that I actually enjoy and also it raises a good bit of cash for Les Webbers various angling schemes.I will keep you informed.

Still hoping to do one in the Midlands for AN members further north as Ive been promosing for some years.One of the cluybs Im doing one for in the midlands has more or less agreed to let me use the venue at a latter date for "non club members" but this still has to be confirmed by the committee.

If any of the other clubs Im putting them on for agree to letting "non club members" attend I will post the details.Sadly not many are prepared to do this.

Im sorry about not being able to do even more but my poor health and finances just dont allow it.I really believe this is the best way that any dedicated pike angler can "put some thing back" into the sport.Once again great to see others offering their time to help as well,well done!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

i have already offered to take matt hillman out and show him how to pike fish safely,and hes up for it we just have to sort out a date.

its a good idea anderoo,i'm in east london/essex/hertfordshire ie anywhere i can get a quick train to really,wich is loads a places! :clap2:

Edited by Russell Fitzpatrick

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

you cant pike fish in FAS waters unless youve attended a pike teach-in! more clubs should use them it benefits their expensive fish after all.

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson