Mitchell Match

MordenMike

The earlier mitchell post got me all wistful (must be my age as I bought a centrepin earlier this year !).

I had a Match (in blue) for over twenty years, but it got nicked. It was bought in about 1977 or 78 which I

think made it one of the orignal 'proper' (ie French ?) ones.I have read that the later production models were not as good, which leads me to a couple od questions : how do you tell the good early models?

and does anybody on here fancy selling me one ? or know of a reliable source.

I intend to use it so doesn't have to be mint and I know its a bit of a nostalgia trip but I've yet to use a better reel.

Mike

e-bay is the place to look,just search for "mitchell match or mitchell 440"

they'll be plenty on there of vering ages and conditions.but expect to pay about £20+P&P for them

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

expect to pay about £20+P&P for them

And the rest! I was looking for a while to replace one I broke and the price a good one fetches is mind blowing compared to what new reels cost. In the end I remanufactured the broken part at work! If you do want a decent price then look for one without a box, without a spool and on an auction that finishes at a stupid time like 6am.

The earlier mitchell post got me all wistful (must be my age as I bought a centrepin earlier this year !).

I had a Match (in blue) for over twenty years, but it got nicked. It was bought in about 1977 or 78 which I

think made it one of the orignal 'proper' (ie French ?) ones.I have read that the later production models were not as good, which leads me to a couple od questions : how do you tell the good early models?

I intend to use it so doesn't have to be mint and I know its a bit of a nostalgia trip but I've yet to use a better reel.

Mike

The better earlier ones were made in France, the later ones from one of the usual far east countries, can't remember where. I've a 301a that has "made in France" cast into the body of the reel, but when it came out of the box (I bought it new) there was a small sticker on it that more truthfully admitted it was from Taiwan/somewhere like that. So it wasn't very sure where it originated!

The good French ones had a "leg" with the same cross-section all its length. The later ones had a leg that changed shape as it approached the gearbox, they cast a stiffening web into it, if that makes sense?

I've an early Match here that has the earlier form of plain bail arm, with no roller - this one depends on hardening to avoid grooving the metal, and it's a fairly crap design; anyone know where I can get a later bail arm to convert to the roller form?

Theres one on there now,brand new in the box!! Left handed version.

DS

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MITCHELL-MATCH-440-M...1QQcmdZViewItem

Sold for £113 !! This is exactly what to avoid if you want one to actually fish with (right hand wind, in box, as new) as it's a desirable collectors' reel. What you want is one with flaky paintwork but good mechanicals. Sandblast all the paint off and redo it in blue Hammerite and they look like new.

Guest Ferret1959

Mike

I have a blue 440a, needs a good service(seems to be sticking a bit) but in very nice usable condition.

Can post a picture if you need it.

Make me an offer. :)

I have a blue 440a, needs a good service(seems to be sticking a bit) but in very nice usable condition.

Can post a picture if you need it.

Make me an offer. :)

I'm interested (won't be £113 though !) , a photo would be nice

cheers Mike

Here's mine

Does need some cosmetic work too... Needs the same cosmetic work in terms of paint coming off... Never did get round to using her...

It's yours if you want it and you pay the P+P..

BTW it's traditional to offer Ferret 50p for anything he's selling :)

Thanks MrMathew but I've put in an offer for Ferret's match, although he would'nt except 50p !