How to target big roach?

JohnA

I took my son for a river session at the weekend, to a venue where I thought he might get a few bites, so that I could initiate him in the art of trotting. The session did not quite turn out as planned, as my chosen venue was so full of fish, on each cast the float barely had time to settle before a bite was registered. Thus not much trotting was done, but my lad still had a great time catching roach, perch, dace, chub & gudgeon, finishing with a total of 4lb 2oz, in just under 2.5 hours.

When we arrived at the swim I could see some quite large fish probably about 18” below the surface. There were two very black fish, with noticeably forked tails, which I took to be bream of 2-3lb. Alongside the bream were some light green coloured fish, which were slightly smaller than the bream, but still 1-2lb in size. I initially thought these “green” fish must be trout, but being as trout are not the brightest of fish & we were fishing maggot & failed to catch a single trout, I now suspect that the “green” fish were actually roach. I am used to spotting chub, barbel & carp, but don't usually see any other species on the venues I fish, hence my lack of certainty about what the "green" fish were.

I now want to return to this swim & have a crack at what I believe are specimen roach, but could do with some tips on how to target them & avoid the masses of smaller fish. I thought about using either freelined cheese or bread paste on a size 12 or 10 hook, or possibly a couple of grains sweetcorn, or maybe even a single hair rigged pellet. Can you catch roach on a hair? Do they pick bait up with their lips, like chub, or do they suck the bait into their mouths, like barbel & carp?

One point to mention is that after we had tackled up at the weekend & before we cast a line, I threw in a pinch of maggots, from a kneeling position, to see how the (still visible) fish reacted. Basically, they did not move to intercept the bait, nor did they scatter as if alarmed, they just slowly drifted back into the depths & we never saw them again. Incidentally, the swim is only about 4ft deep & I did put on a heavier float with the shot bulked, in an attempt to get through the smaller fish, but this only succeeded in getting us a gudgeon a chuck.

Any advice appreciated.

John

Edited by JohnA

You've got to be careful when fishing on a river. Since there is usually a stron current, you want to be loose feeding a couple of yards upstream of where the fish are. As the bait descends, it is carried away by the current, nd with a bit of careful planning you can get the bait where the fish are.

Now, to target big roach, use 2-3 red maggots on a size 16 hook. But before you cast, loose feed about 10-15 red maggots in your chosen swim. Keep loose feeding every 5-10 minutes. The loose feed will be picked up by the smaller fish and fill them up, leaving the big 'uns to feed on the maggots. Also catapult a few maggots every time you catch a fish.

I don't use sweetcorn for roach, as even the big ones tend to have small mouths. I might be wrong, but I think roach don't suck up the food like carp do.

Other great baits are hemp and casters.

PS Roach are silver in colour, with bright orange/red fins. Trout are also usually caught on flies.

Edited by iamlucky18

John, You're probably right about the green fish being roach (they're only silver if you look at them from the side or underneath which is difficult without getting wet :P )

To target them specifically, I'd be inclined to feed hemp with just the occasional couple of tares on the hook.

This should work till we get the first frosts and then you might want to try chease or breadflake.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Breadflake, definitely - a nice big chunk on a size 10 or 8 hook. Big roach have surprisingly large mouths and have no problem with hooks this size. Feed a little mashed bread and hemp and slowly trot the swim - from as far upstream as possible to avoid spooking. Either that or a light link leger with a small bomb.

Good luck :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Tiger nuts :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I took my son for a river session at the weekend, to a venue where I thought he might get a few bites, so that I could initiate him in the art of trotting. The session did not quite turn out as planned, as my chosen venue was so full of fish, on each cast the float barely had time to settle before a bite was registered. Thus not much trotting was done, but my lad still had a great time catching roach, perch, dace, chub & gudgeon, finishing with a total of 4lb 2oz, in just under 2.5 hours.

When we arrived at the swim I could see some quite large fish probably about 18” below the surface. There were two very black fish, with noticeably forked tails, which I took to be bream of 2-3lb. Alongside the bream were some light green coloured fish, which were slightly smaller than the bream, but still 1-2lb in size. I initially thought these “green” fish must be trout, but being as trout are not the brightest of fish & we were fishing maggot & failed to catch a single trout, I now suspect that the “green” fish were actually roach. I am used to spotting chub, barbel & carp, but don't usually see any other species on the venues I fish, hence my lack of certainty about what the "green" fish were.

I now want to return to this swim & have a crack at what I believe are specimen roach, but could do with some tips on how to target them & avoid the masses of smaller fish. I thought about using either freelined cheese or bread paste on a size 12 or 10 hook, or possibly a couple of grains sweetcorn, or maybe even a single hair rigged pellet. Can you catch roach on a hair? Do they pick bait up with their lips, like chub, or do they suck the bait into their mouths, like barbel & carp?

One point to mention is that after we had tackled up at the weekend & before we cast a line, I threw in a pinch of maggots, from a kneeling position, to see how the (still visible) fish reacted. Basically, they did not move to intercept the bait, nor did they scatter as if alarmed, they just slowly drifted back into the depths & we never saw them again. Incidentally, the swim is only about 4ft deep & I did put on a heavier float with the shot bulked, in an attempt to get through the smaller fish, but this only succeeded in getting us a gudgeon a chuck.

Any advice appreciated.

John

You'd be suprised how big a bait a roach can take. Was fishing my local canal and catching small roach / perch. Changed to double sweetcorn to maybe tempt a bigger specimen roach or bonus tench - was getting three ounce roach on it! In autumn / winter introduce mashed bread to the swim and flake on the hook and this may sort out the bigger ones. Remember, specy roach are probably the hardest fish of all to catch. Many anglers don't manage a 2lb roach in their angling lifetimes - still waiting for mine!

You've got to be careful when fishing on a river. Since there is usually a stron current, you want to be loose feeding a couple of yards upstream of where the fish are. As the bait descends, it is carried away by the current, nd with a bit of careful planning you can get the bait where the fish are.

Now, to target big roach, use 2-3 red maggots on a size 16 hook. But before you cast, loose feed about 10-15 red maggots in your chosen swim. Keep loose feeding every 5-10 minutes. The loose feed will be picked up by the smaller fish and fill them up, leaving the big 'uns to feed on the maggots. Also catapult a few maggots every time you catch a fish.

I don't use sweetcorn for roach, as even the big ones tend to have small mouths. I might be wrong, but I think roach don't suck up the food like carp do.

Other great baits are hemp and casters.

PS Roach are silver in colour, with bright orange/red fins. Trout are also usually caught on flies.

I fish a canal, which has next to no current. roach can take sweet corn no problem, getting all sizes on it, i must admit, you have to give the bite a little time, no so easy on a river i know. genrally have to go on the third bob of the float.

smac

woman want me, fish fear me

Hi John A, I'm no big Roach expert, having never purposely gone for them, however having seen this thread I thought I'd share my experiences from a recent session with you.

I was back down my local river for another evening Perch session but this time without any maggots for catching the livebaits. Instead I was using small sections of dendrabena on a size 22 hook to 1.5lb line on a small telescopic pole. The swim I was fishing often yields small roach and rudd to order fishing maggot and this day was no exception, except for the two fish I lost!

On both occasions the float slowly and confidently sunk away and upon striking to my amazement the elastic was soon fully drawn from the end of the pole. I believed at first I had hooked one of the better Perch in the swim and was instead rewarded with the brief sight of a whopper Roach. Easy 1.5lb most likely a 2lb'er. I have fished this swim many times over the past 12 months or so and never hooked a silverfish of this caliber on maggot. The fish unfortunately pulled free of the hook and I never believed for a moment it would happen again. Sure enough it did but again the fish was lost to a pulled hook. :(

Now possibly the large roach are pretty wise to maggots dropping in from overhead but are completely at ease taking a more naturally occurring bait.

Worth a try anyway. I'd stick with the size 22 hook and light line if you have a little more room to play your fish out than what I had. I'm surrounded by various obstructions, having little more than 12sq/ft to play with.

PS. Bagged a fine 3lb 2oz Perch to make up for last weeks lost 'monsters' :) .

I have to add that this is the first time I have fished the swim with no groundbait / free offerings. Do these big Roach wise up to the traditional angling techniques? I'll be putting the theory to the test over the weekend.

Edited by Sharkbyte

Thanks for all the replies, you have given me a few ideas to try. I did initially think about using breadflake for the larger roach, but given the masses of small roach, dace, chub & gudgeon present in the swim, I have my doubts as to whether the bait would remain on the hook for very long. I would also be wary about introducing any loose feed into the swim, after the reaction to a single pinch of loose fed maggots last weekend.

I was going to have a crack at the roach this weekend, but the lure of a barbel fishing session is proving too strong. When I next return to the roach swim, I will let you know how I got on.

John