Your favorite species?

D Dawis

I apologize if this has been already asked, but what is your favorite species of freshwater fish to catch and why? I'd like to learn more about the species in the UK. My favorite here is the mighty muskellunge. Large, toothy and hard to catch.

Dave D.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think largemouth bass followed closely by flathead catfish and carp running a close 3rd.

But then I don't have the UK critters available (or musky either for that matter - too far south for them).

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

for me it has to be the pike,i love'em simple as really, many ways to target them also,and they look like they mean buissness and have brilliant markings,my favourite is river pike,a close second is the chub,

chub are a funny species that eat anything,omnivorous, theycan be easy one day and damn difficult the next,the bigger they are,the harder they are to tempt,they dont grow enourmous but my god a real biggie is quite a challenge,the wary'ist of all fish in my opinion.This winter i aim to get a real good'un(6lb+) on a fish bait,most likely a deadbait.

zander also run close second(like walleye) not caught many but they are a fascinating fish over here,not alot is known about them ,they still have a bit of mystery to them. they look like a proper predator too!

i mainly fish for predators,so i am a little biased! (big perch are awesome creatures too!)

Edited by Russell Fitzpatrick

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

In the summer its Crucians - 'cause they're so damn inscrutable and unpredictable, Tench - the epitome of summer.

Autumn - Barbel

Winter - Grayling - probably my favourite species - tigrish fighters & tend to occupy only the most secnic rivers. Perch - a big stripey is a sight to behold - the Biggest of Fishes (to paraphrase RW). And I never begrudge a Chub!

(umm - so that hasn't really narrowed it down much :rolleyes: )

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I apologize if this has been already asked, but what is your favorite species of freshwater fish to catch and why? I'd like to learn more about the species in the UK. My favorite here is the mighty muskellunge. Large, toothy and hard to catch.

Dave D.

Hmmm, difficult one but i always seem to go back to fishing for Pike (smaller relative of your muskies i think?) I fish for just about anything but they will always be my first love.

Paul.

There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..

Without doubt Roach,first and last,then Tench. :thumbs:

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Perch for me :)

I have to go with Chris on this and split it into different seasons:

Spring and summer, Tench

Late summer and autumn, Barbel

Autumn and winter, Perch

However probably my all time favourite fish is the humble Gudgeon which i don't seem to catch many of anymore.

Rich

Perch, no doubt about it.

Beautiful, feisty as hell, and slightly 'odd' fish ;)

Barbel in second place.

i second that, perch is my favorite, they are totaly fruity and big perch are amazing and almost a rareity. once a friend caught one on spinner and even bigger one was trying to take the spinner off the small perch inches from the bank it was hillarious it was like it were trying to help its buddy or steal his food :clap2: love em

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk